Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any cool new materials out there?

Default Any cool new materials out there?

Have you guys used any cool new tying materials lately?

With the new catalogs coming out soon, there will hopefully be more exciting and new materials coming out for the 2008 season.

I still like tying with the Ultra Wire colored wire, making wire bodied nymphs, they sink quickly and they look cool.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Synthetics....

Haven't actually used it yet but found a new (to me) material from Rumpf called Body Fur. It's a synthetic, similar to rug yarn (....but thinner bundles of material). These bundles are constructed from lengths of fibers approximately 1" in length which are frayed at the ends and tightly wound in the center. This creates a fan affect on each end. The bundles are bent in half and sewn or glued together, side to side, at the base (the tightly wound portion) to form a long hackle like strand of material. Very light weight and a lot like a brush but stiffer. No pic's yet.

Looks very interesting and should be usable in Salmon or Steelhead patterns. Maybe an application for Black Bass on the Delta, also.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Body Fur....

OK,.... Here's a pic:

"America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Adam -

While it isn't 'new' ....... I still play w/ Sheep Fleece a lot . Lots of things can be done with it . I'm using more foam lately , as well .

Darian -

You should smile more often (you DO have a nice smile ....) .

David

You should smile more often (you DO have a nice smile ....)
    He also has e very wide chartuese beard

j

Default Beard????

Hmmmm,.... If I held it a little higher, it'd be a handle bar mustache.

I was thinking about uses for this material and can see how, if the bundles are separeted, it would be good for tails/wings. Also, could be a hackle type of wrap; similar to a Hot Shot Comet....

David, I'm gettin' worried about you.... Playing with Sheep fleece and foam....

Author unknown

Darian, do you have any pictures of flies tied with that material?

I bet that it would make a good collar for a tarpon fly or steelhead fly.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Flies....????

Adam,.... I haven't had time to use this material yet but agree with you that it has good potential. I looks very durable so it should perform in fresh or saltwater. Since I'm working on clearing out some "stuff" that I've accumulated over the years, I'm not sure when I'll get back to tying again. I'll post a photo when I do, tho.

Author unknown

Default Body Fur....

OK Guys,.... Here's a fly that illustrates a couple of pitential uses for "Body Fur" in fly design:

The quality of the tying not withstanding, the material is easily used for tails/wings. However, it is not as easily used as a collar. The material is doubled to create a bundle and the compressed base is cemented and sewn together to create the strands. This makes it thick at the base. Without some thinking about how to tie it in, a tier would likely tie a thick head. If winging a bucktail type fly, I would advise tying a bundle in by the center at the shoulder of the fly. Then bending the half facing forward back and tying it down. Another method might be to use only half a bundle for one wing.

OK, now go have some fun....

Author unknown

Default Ehhh Gawd!

Ehhh Gawd Darian. That'll attract ANY self respecting salmon's attention. Maybe some monster steelies too.

I bet Renee is getting P-O'd about you cutting up her lingerie though.

TONY