Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: flies for stripers

Default flies for stripers

what kind of flies will work. will wooly buggers work? can not find clousers. do they sell them at kienes

chartruse over white clouser.

Kiene's has loads of 'em.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Default Striper Flies????

Guppy,.... A very good pattern that is based on the Wooly Bugger is one used by Jerry in Lodi. It works in both fresh and salt water, it's easy to tie and casts like a bullet. In the Delta, it catches Black Bass and Stripers. You can find a description of this fly (....and others) with a recipe on his website:

www.deltastripers.com

Good luck
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

On the topic of striper flies, I am curious what you guys think about sparsely tied clousers versus those with more hair? From what I understand, the original pattern is very sparse.

Quote Originally Posted by notyalc
    On the topic of striper flies, I am curious what you guys think about sparsely tied clousers versus those with more hair? From what I understand, the original pattern is very sparse.
    Big baits catch big fish. I prefer nice big thick clousers, but I am in the minority on that one.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

wow...that giant wooly b looks awesome. Thanks for the link to that site. I am going to have to try to tie those when I actually start tying.

Big baits catch big fish. I prefer nice big thick clousers, but I am in the minority on that one.
    You will learn that this mentality will limit you big time...especially when water is clear, cold or heavily preasured (or all the above) Also a thick bodied clouser is going to have the action of a wire brush. Theres nothing wrong with having big, bushy clousers in your box if they give you confidence, but you definitely want some sparse ones too. Also smaller ones. They can make the difference, believe me. Another good choice is to have some drab colors for fading light. Like grey over white or even black over grey over white.

Jay

Say Hey Jbird,
    That's really good solid advice you just posted.
    Cheers, Ken
    PS: I just returned from your neck-o-the-woods. I spoke to the Southern Oregon Fly Fishers (in Medford last Thursday night). Great group of folks. Covered surf zone tactics for the west coast.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Andy Guibord and some of the other hard-core striper guys at Kiene's use some bushy clousers, mainly to push water and provide a larger profile. i tie something in the middle. I use ideas from Jay Murakoshi's Clousers, which are beautiful.

Here's a picture of my rainbow trout colored clouser, a half and half style:

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Where do you get your "jig" hooks?

Does Kiene's stock those?

Thanks.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"