Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halfpounders are a gift from the Fish God.......

Default Halfpounders are a gift from the Fish God.......

Nice 'Halfpounder' by Andy Guibord on Lower A.

The Lower Rogue and the Lower Klamath Rivers are famous for their Halfpounder runs but many of our Nor Cal Valley rivers get some too.

Along with Halfpounders comes a few adult Steelhead and many King Salmon.

There should be some around Los Molinos on the Lower Sacramento now where Mat Johnson lives.

Some are hiding in the Lower Feather were Tony will be rooting them out.

I guess they get a mixture of small Halfpounders and some adults in the Lower Yuba River?

It's really nice fishing for them in Sept/Oct before the weather and water get too cold.

Joe Shirshac said he hooked an adult on the lower American last week about 5-6 pounds.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Finally after all those 1/4 and 1/8-pounder pics, a true half-pounder....now that's what a half-pounder looks like! Thanks for the shot Bill.

That's a big half pounder, especially for the American. I am envious, this season has seen many beefy HP's like Andy's in that picture. If you live near the American go out and give it a try.

BTW, where the heck is MSP? He's a big HP guy, has he gone missing?

I think it's about time to see his hand holding one of these chunky HP's
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam,

That fish looks ~17" to me, a decent sized half pounder for sure. I've seen a few "half pounders" over 20", which may be considered by some to be adult steelhead, but considering I've caught them amongst a number of other half-pounders, they really were half-pounders. Although it's not the legal definition, I figure a fish over 22" or about 3 lbs is an adult, everything else qualifies as a quick-returning half-pounder.

Many of the fish I've seen posted on this board as "half pounders" are 8-10" long and are actually juevenille steelhead, not half-pounders. I suppose it really doesn't matter, other than maybe it's a good idea to help the newer folks to the sport understand what they are catching, and to try to avoid the spread of dis-information that can easily happen on a bulletin board like this.

What is a bit disturbing is the apparent decline in the # of half pounders in recent years on a number of CA waters. It is good to see there is a strong return on the American right now, hopefully this is a start of a trend.

Best,

-John

I would put that fish around 23" and 3-4#'s

John, I hear what you're saying. I do not call those small 8-10" fish HP's. But most American River HP's are not usually that long nor that GIRTHY! My assessment of the size of that fish is the ~20" range, that plus the girth makes that fish big for American River HP's. Regardless what ever we may call it, it is a very nice fish, especially on a 3wt.

Adam Grace

Guys,

I'm not saying that isn't a great fish, it is a gorgeous steelhead that anyone would be proud to catch. But let's be realistic about that fish for a second, I think the facts are there if you look closely. Take your fingers, spread them a bit, and put a ruler on it. Multiply that by 4 and you'll have a good estimate of that fish's length. I know my hand is about 4.25" wide when spread like the hand above and that fish is about 4 +/- hand widths long, so by my math that's somewhere around 17+/- inches. If the guy has really big hands then maybe it might be pushing 20". I would be amazed if that fish is an honest over 20. You never know the way fish stories are told, fish have a real tendency to grow after they are caught.

If you want to see a 24", 4-lb steelhead, check out the photo contest, there is one there you can look at that I posted. That fish was 24.5" long and probably about 4 lbs. Take the width of my left hand in the photo from the base of my thumb to the edge of my palm which is just about 4". If you take that approximate width and superimpose it on the fish, you'll see the fish is about 6 times the width of my hand. I taped that fish so I know how long it was. Imagine my hand holding that fish one-handed like the halfpounder above, and there would be a heck of a lot more fish sticking off either side in the photo.

Adam,

I haven't fished the American too much, but all the central valley steelhead I landed or seen have been pretty fat. Maybe it's just luck but I think those steelhead tend to run much more girthy than any other fall fish I've ever seen anywhere else, maybe it's just the Feather more than anything but I have seen some real footballs on the American. Still, all the girth in the wouldn't make that fish an adult steelhead.

I would put that fish around 23" and 3-4#'s
    I hope you are jesting!

I think that fish is between 17 and 20.

There was a measurement unit used in biblical times. It was known as a cubit, The distance from the inside bend of the arm, to the fingertips. A cubit veries obviously with different people, thats why a construction crew had one designated "measureman" But an average "cubit" is 18". with that in mind, look at the picture again.

It really doesnt matter to me how big they are, they sure are perty! and this one is incredibly healthy!!!

Jay

BigTJ and Jay, you both catch more steelhead than I do. I do not purposely try increase the actual size. I will trust in your assessments. Hopefully there will be a time that I get so used to catching fish of that size that I may have as much experience as you two to better guess the length of fish. Maybe I'll get smart and move to Oregon to pursue steelhead full-time like some of you on this board.

These cold water beasts have me in a trance now, if I only had more time and money to pursue them more. [-o<

Hopefully I will experience more days of fish like this and larger.

My first adult ever, caught on the Rogue. I love that river...and I envy you guys that fish it regularly.

This is one of my most recent catches, last season on the Trinity.....with my spey rod!

You other steelhead guys, please post some nice steelhead pictures to show me just how beautiful the can be. Some day I'll catch a chrome bright fish, maybe if I get up to the Rogue this season.

Adam Grace

I spent the Am and Pm playing with the half pounders. Mine were more along the lines of one eighth pounders, or maybe it's just the 5 ouncer run. My biggest went about a foot. A regular sized foot . Kind of odd, where I was fishing the trout were very selective, feeding on small, like 18 or 20 olive mayflies. This morning they wanted spinners only. Of course being the veteran fly fisherman that I am I only had a box of caddis patterns with me. Luckily, I found a size 16 Kaufmans Timberline Emerger on my hat band. A tug here and a snip there, some paste floatant to hold the changes in place and viola, another fly for them to ignore. Actually I did manage 3 on that fly, but they were retarded. This evening they wanted the same bug only in the emerger stage, and since I was prepared, I caught 2 out of about a thousand that were rising around me. Damn, I'm good. Jay and Bigtj, I've never noticed but maybe Andy has really big hands. I'm just say'in.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.