Thread: Report from Heenan Lake from Nancy Siegler

Default Report from Heenan Lake from Nancy Siegler

Thayne and I went to Heenan today and I caught 19 Lahontan Cutthroat Trout.

10”, 15” and all the rest were over 21” and one was 26”. What a day. I caught all but on the Sheep Creek Special. The weather was good for up there with the usual wind but it was not too bad. Tons of float tubers but I was the star and caught the most fish.. Thayne had three on but unfortunately he did no land any.

Nancy

__________________________________________________ _________

I believe that Heenan Lake is open Friday through Sunday in September and October.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow, great job Bill, sounds like you had a killer day! That's something when you catch a bunch of trout and the two smallest ones are 10" and 15".
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hi Mike

I actually did not go on this one. It was a report from a friend, Nancy Siegler.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

It was a delight to watch Nancy as she was hooking fish all day and working the water. She knew what she was doing.
    I took a friend who had never fly fished before and we fished Heenan and were fortunate enough to catch a few ourselves. I think the trick is to make sure you fish with a good fly but more about the depth of presentation. We used different flies from Nancy and caught the same numbers.
    Tight lines and screaming reels.

Fish deep! Type 3 full sink is perfect for Heenan. BH nymphs with chenille bodies(Prince/Zug Bug/Sheep's Creek etc.) trailed from buggers & leeches in olive, brown and maroon seem to work best (for me anyways). Vary your retrieve until you start catching fish.

OR

Buy a spinning combo and some silver or gold kastmasters! I was less than 100ft away from these 2 guys chucking hardware from tubes yesterday and they must have caught 20 HOGS between the two of them in less than an hour.

I fished Heenan on Sunday. The water had a lot of algea in the water and you have to clean your flies regularly. I landed 5 cutts and my buddy got 2. They ranged in size from 16-21 inches. It was a beautiful day in the mountains and it is nice to see Heenan fishing well early in its short season. Here is a shot of a giant from a few of seaons ago.

Nice fishy Mark!!!
    Tight lines and screaming reels.