Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photo contest submission comments

John, it wasn't just Bolden who chose one picture, Jay and myself also agreed. We tried to nail down any loose ends about the contest to avoid confusion. We thought that SLR cameras had too much of an advantage so we said that each contestant could post one p & s picture and one SLR picture.

Jay, I had expected Rob, Jason H. and Jay Murakoshi to have already posted an SLR picture, that makes 4 regular photo posters when you included Ben Bolden, that seemed like enough to make a separate SLR contest. But considering the lack of their participation we might as well make it one big contest with no partitions.

Like John mentioned, does it have to be just one picture? My opinion is that when people vote it will be easier to know which picture caused the win, but if people aren't interested in who wins, then we could just kill this contest and hope that people keep on posting pictures, but a simple contest gives people a little bit more reason to submit a picture or two.

What do you guys think?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, Bolden and anyone else I really think its of utmost importance to keep things "bare bones simple" Its different when you are face to face and able to discuss away any confusion. In an internet environment, it is very hard to keep a group together on the same page.

Just a quick example...I use to be a manager at a ski resort. We were always creating and experimenting with new signs to try to improve skier traffic congestion. It was totally shocking how illiterate everyone can be. If we put up a sign saying "do this" people wouldnt do it. If the sign said "dont do this" people would immediately start doing it. It was just crazy!

So simplicity is the route I suggest. Post your favorite photo...one photo only... doesnt matter what camera you used. Obviously it would no longer be necessary to say anything about your equipment. You can describe breifly any work youve done to the picture in photoshop and where and when you caught it, if you want. If that doesnt suit your fancy, just post the picture without typing a single word. How much easier can it get?

I think our main objective is participation. Something to get people excited and to show off some fish theyve caught, or seen caught.

Jay

That sounds good to me Jay!

Adam Grace

Jay, I had expected Rob, Jason H. and Jay Murakoshi to have already posted an SLR picture, that makes 4 regular photo posters when you included Ben Bolden, that seemed like enough to make a separate SLR contest. But considering the lack of their participation we might as well make it one big contest with no partitions.
    Even if they all posted their pictures, it still might not be enough slr competition to warrant the possible confusion. If we do make it one big
    contest, then maybe we should have a simple vote in a seperate thread.

It would be something like:

One photo - no limitations on camera

or

One photo - only p&s

I would be perfectly fine with only p&s. It would definitely make things more equal, and since i am the only one with a slr photo, i don't think
    anyone is going to complain. I don't want to be the only person using an slr and be viewed as having an advantage over everyone else.

Like John mentioned, does it have to be just one picture? My opinion is that when people vote it will be easier to know which picture caused the win, but if people aren't interested in who wins, then we could just kill this contest and hope that people keep on posting pictures, but a simple contest gives people a little bit more reason to submit a picture or two.
    As far as one photo per person, i think it has to be that way. It is the only way this will remain simple in terms of submissions and voting.
    Each person enters one photo, and everyone votes for one person. People can always post other similar photos in the discussion thread just
    for kicks.

With the participation that has been going on in this forum, i think the contest needs to stay, it just needs to be as simple as possible.

This is a quick call to a change in format of this photo contest.

In light of simplifying things, we are only submitting ONE photograph. It does not matter what camera was used for the photo.

If you submitted more than one photo, please edit accordingly.

Hope this helps

Jay

Canon 20D slr , 50 mm 1.8

This is the only good fish photo i have !!!

Vets , Thanks for your service !!
    http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Rob, that is a great picture. Please post that picture under the contest announcement.

Adam Grace

Guys,

Sorry for coming off the way I did yesterday. Yesterday was one of my worst days in months and I was a bit grouchy, sorry for coming off a bit over the top especially to you Bolden.

There are some great photos in there, regardless of how they were taken they are a joy to see. Thanks to everyone for getting the interest drummed up in some great photos.

-John

Yesterday was one of my worst days in months and I was a bit grouchy, sorry for coming off a bit over the top especially to you Bolden.
    Don't even worry about it, everyone has bad days.

Rob, very nice picture and don't you just love the cheap little 50mm.

Rob

I sure hope you used the foreceps for that one

shweeeet!

Jay