Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delta 9-09

David,
    That sounds like a lot of fun. I am going to have to be a "maybe" for now. I have a fishing trip scheduled this weekend, however, rumor has it that its getting cancelled. I am going to see my buddies tonight and I should know more by tomorrow. That said it would be a lot of fun to get together and tie some flies one of these days soon. I will let you know.
    Thanks for everything,
    Matt

A get-together at the shop this weekend sounds great, as always, but I don't know that I can make it this weekend. That said, David Lee knows his way around deer hair, and I would highly recommend folks sit down with David for a tying session whenever he's available -- I've got a deer hair frog pattern from him that is just awesome!

Well, I've drafted some tying instructions for the "frog Dahlberg" but it's a page and a half long, single-spaced -- awfully long to post on a board. Once I finish editing it, I'll be happy to e-mail it to anyone who's interested.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike count me in to get a copy of those instructions. That pattern looks real fishy. Just let us know when you are ready.

David I would love to see a demonstration but I won't be getting any weekends off till the official end of our park season mid october. Maybe you could do another one in the winter.

That said do either of you have a recomendation of a book on stacking or spining bass flies? Thanks, Craig.

Default Some really good sources for tying Deer hair Bass Bugs...

..are Chris Helm's videos...For instance this one...

SPINNING DEER HAIR (60 Minutes) – Produced for the tier interested in learning how to SPIN and STACK deer hair
    put in red gill spots and other techniques to make tieing hair flies much easier. Learn which whitetail deer subspecies
    produce the best hair for tying hair bugs and where to find the best hair on the hide. Chris also explains the correct
    hooks, threads, and tools used to tie great Bass bugs. For the beginning through the advanced tier. This video will
    provide you the fundamentals used in tying all hair bugs. $24.95 DVD $19.95 VHS

Others are available, check his catalog at :

http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/
    Look under videos on page 8
    Get the DVD versions if you can or maybe Kiene's can order them for you....Anyway they're well worth the effort..

Mike

Default Deer Hair or Caddis????

Remember, Bill Carnazzo is scheduled to to appear at Kiene's on the 22nd (....This Saturday). He'll be tying his Caddis patterns for our benefit. Maybe the deer hair session should be scheduled for next Saturday (the 29th )
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

That said do either of you have a recomendation of a book on stacking or spining bass flies? Thanks, Craig.
    Craig, I'm not familiar with many books on stacking or spinning bass flies. I taught myself how to do it out of the book, "Bass Bug Fishing" by William G. Tapply, whose father, H. G. Tapply, invented the Tap's Bug. I like this book, because it's a nice primer that discusses quite a few aspects of bass bugging, including its history, as well as descriptions of bugs from years' past. It also features a lot of quotes from well-known fly fishers that I particularly enjoyed.

All of the books I've looked at only described the basics of spinning and stacking, but maybe there's one out there that goes into more intricate techniques and detail. If there is, I'd sure like to hear about it. I just picked up the basics and then practiced, picking up my own tips along the way.

Of course, nowadays there are a lot of great resources on-line. To this end, there are some nice tutorials on deer hair spinning and stacking in the Intermediate fly tying section of www.flyanglersonline.com that you'll want to check out.
    -- Mike

Jay Murakoshi will be at Kiene's Fly Shop on October 6th, Saturday spinning deer hair so it might be a good time for many to see someone really do it well in person. No charge too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

GRAND thread guys!!! LOVE that delta! And them bass. \/

Well, I've finally finished the "Frog Diver" tying instructions. Will be happy to e-mail them to anyone who's interested, just need an e-mail address.
    -- Mike

If anyone is interested, this site has the best instructions i have ever seen on many different flies.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/

Since people are asking about the frog diver, this one should help.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=38