Bolden, that's a very nice set of tying instructions, especially the photos --appreciate you posting the link, as I think it will be very helpful. That's where I learned about using a section of plastic to hold deer hair out of the way when stacking -- a very useful tip.

I do several aspects of my divers differently than shown in the link, as you always balance the advantages and disadvantages of doing various things in different ways and arrive at your own set of personal preferences. Let me hasten to add I am most definitely not implying his way is not as good, as he obviously knows what he's doing, and he clearly ties some really pretty, solid bugs. In any case, for discussion's sake, the major differences I noted are as follows:

1. He covers the hook shank with thread, whereas I do not. Covering the thread shank makes it less likely for hair to spin around while stacking but makes it a little more difficult to pack the hair and half-hitches. Take your choice.

2. He likes to use 3 big clumps of hair for the body (i.e., collar and backward), whereas I like to use the same amount of hair but in 5 clumps. 3 clumps is quicker but I feel 5 clumps are more secure and thus less likely to spin around. I've tried the 3-clump approach and found I was having difficulty keeping the hair from spinning and it was more challenging keeping it packed between bunches. Then again, he covers the shank with thread and I do not, so I think those two aspects kind of go together.

3. He trims the bottom rounded, while I trim flat. This may be neither here nor there, as I've never tried a rounded bottom, as I have been satisfied with the performance results of a flat bottom.

4. I prefer a shorter head, as I have found it makes it easier for the fly to dive and, coupled with a more upright, slightly shorter and thus stiffer collar, creates more of a pop and carries more bubbles under the water as it dives. Then again, this may just be a personal preference thing.

5. I prefer to have no deer hair sticking downward from the rear, bottom of the fly. Just a personal preference thing from an appearance standpoint.

Anyway, as you practice on your own vise, no doubt you will arrive at your own set of preferences. That, of course, is the beauty of tying your own flies -- you can always have it your way!

By the way, also, if you go to the "Virtual Fly Tying Classes" section of www.flytyingforum.com you'll see a whole bunch of links to deer hair stacking/spinning/trimming videos that have recently been uploaded to youtube -- definitely worth checking out as well.