Thread: Leo's Poppers

Default Leo's Poppers

I've often seen references to poppers tied by Leo Gutteres but I don't recall having seen any photos posted on this forum. Thought I'd remedy that with these two:

Now, much as I love a big hairy diver (and no, I'm not referring to Jacques Cousteau ) These guys are just little jewels of craftsmanship.

I think I can see my winter project for when the weather fronts put a stop to Striper pursuits

Cheers

Mike
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

I posted a few shots of the Poppers that Leo gave me a few years ago ..... I think Hairstacker has a few that he could shoot an' post for us

Leo G. ties the BEST !!

David

Before Leo's was "Lucky Lloyd's" poppers.

I have some of those too.

This winter we will have to have a bass bug day at the shop.

Everyone can bring some of their favorites.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've got a few as well that Leo gave me to try on dorado. They don't look so pretty any more and on one, the balsa body has been recemented to the hook with silicone. They still catch fish though!

I'd post a few pictures but they're at the boat. If I remember, I take a shot tonight and attach it to this post. Teethmarks everywhere!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Here's the two I own that David Lee was kind enough to give me:

David Lee has some really nice examples as well -- they are works of art.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

The story .... as I recall -

Mike and I were at the shop , tying and such . Being Bass-minded kind of guys , we were talking about 'perfect' bugs - The Leo Poppers came up , I raved about the very few I'd seen ....

Someone there says "Well , that's Leo G. right over there"

Still dunno where I got my balls at ...... I wandered up , did the intro , and told him how great I thought his work(craft/Art/etc. ) was .....

Leo says "wait just a moment" - he scoots out to his car , comes back in , and thrusts a handful of the MOST KILLER Poppers on the planet into my hand .

Mike and I are totally blown away - I thank L.G. as best as I could , and he says goodnight . The two of us are lookin' at these bugs , I split 'em , and now Mike has that OMG look . Great moment , to say the least !!

Speaking of classic , killing surface bugs ...... Hairstacker gave me several Tap's Bugs (Red/White) for a Baja trip years ago . I consider these probably the best example of this type of fly that I've yet seen , and I've been around this stuff for a while now . I'd just as soon cut-off my fingers as part with his flies . No joke .

It's sort of the ultmate esoteric click - Bass Bugging has been around forever and is just now getting popular again after its heyday in the 1920's-1940's . Pertty friggin' cool , in my opinion !

David

Default Bass'en

David
    You know how I hate bass fishing.
    I have to go tomarow,I just hate that!

David, thank you for the very kind comments regarding my Tap's Bugs!

By the way, great point about bass bugging going WAY back. Occasionally you run into posts around the web that suggest it is something new that is being pioneered today, which is really sad when you consider all the activity, particularly the innovative fly tying for bass, that took place in the early part of the 20th century that is being overlooked.

I have several books by A.D. Livingston, William Tapply and Charley Waterman, etc., that picture classic bass patterns whose potential I haven't even begun to explore.

As it stands, I tip my hat with great respect to the guys of that era, as they were as avid as any of us and came up with some great stuff, of which the Taps' Bug was only one of many. In any case, I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Say Hey David,
    Great story on how you met Leo. For sure he's one of the good guys. I've enjoyed using his poppers for about fifteen years. As I recall, every one of them caught fish (and even an angler or two when I got excited!).
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

I fished with Leo yesterday. He showed me how to make his furled leader system. I've made three since, the last took me three minutes, thirty seconds. Is that a a simple system or what?
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com