Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photo contest?

This is my submission. Shot with a Nikon D70S 24-85mm f2.8 on a tripod

this is original shot. No photo shop involved

Jay

Time for bed

I think there is a lot of creativity in some photoshopping techniques. Like that first picture of adams, when he was working on that photo a couiple years ago, it was really neat and creative. I dont know that photoshopping should be ebtirely frowned on here...Maybe if youve done something to the picture, you could breifly explaine it in your post?...any other thoughts?

Jay

I have one question. I have a photo in iPhoto and want to post it on the board. How do you go about doing that

Thanks

the other J

Jay, that first picture is not photoshopped at all, that's the original picture.

Here's the photoshopped version of that same fish but a different picture, my submission has not been cropped or photoshopped:

Here's a coupled photoshopped pictures

I think that a little bit of contrast, saturation or color tweaking isn't bad, especially if your using a p&s camera since they lack the control of an SLR.

Bye the way I thought that fish portraits were the subject of this contest, I took that as pictures of just the fish, no fisherman posed with a fish this time, but that would be a great separate subject. To clarify what type of picture do you guys want for this first friendly contest?

We need to choose a cut off date, maybe next Saturday to let everybody get a chance to see this post and join in (the more the merrier) that way it's not just us regulars. After we keep the contest open for a week we could then create a poll and and see what the results are.

What do you guys think about that?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

So far things have gotten a little off the contest topic, so how about a seperate post ONLY for the submissions. We could discuss the
    pictures and such in this thread, but only post pictures in the other so it is easier to navigate. Eventually, we can close the pictures post and
    put up a new post just for voting.

Anyway, it seems as though the first contest is going to be involving fish, and i agree that it would be a good idea to seperate p&s and slr, but as far
    as straight out of the camera, that seems unfair. Obviously, there shouldn't be a fish from the internet put into your own arms, but as far as
    changing the exposure, saturation, and contrast, i think that should be fine.

So tell me what you think about my idea, also any suggestions on a deadline. Next Saturday was suggested, and that seems fine to me.
    We could also consider doing a new topic, related to fishing obviously, every two weeks or a month. If we do it every two weeks, then we
    might have to be very specific so that we don't run out of ideas in a couple of months.

We should probobly try and figure out a decent system so we don't have to worry about too much stuff later. So for now i would suggest
    no more pictures until we figure out what exactly we are doing.

Ok, now that thats out of the way, here is my suggestion for the contest structure. We do a new topic every two weeks. For example, start this
    saturday and end two saturdays from then. The topic should be fairly specific, so instead of just fish in general (portait, hero shot, etc.), we
    should pick just portaits (only thing in photo is the fish). We should also have three threads to make it easier, so pictures, discussion, and the
    voting thread. The pictures thread should be only submissions for the contest, 1 for p&s and 1 for slr. If you have any other shots that you
    want to add, then you can put it in the discussion part. Finally, the voting thread should be simple, so just put the name of who you think should
    win for both categories, and whoever gets the most votes win.

I think for this first contest we should stick with what most of the pictures so far in this thread are, fish portaits.

As far as prizes, i think most people here would be fine with knowing that other people thought their photo was the best.

So, hopefully everyone who has participated so far will respond to my thread and mention if you think it is a good idea or not. Also, any
    suggestions are welcome, and once there is enough consent maybe we can start a somewhat organized contest.

Bolden

Great suggestions. I was hoping someone was gonna grab the wheel!

I agree that we need a fresh thread for photos only, a thread for discussion and then a simple poll/vote. I think if your photo is photoshopped you should add a simple sentence along with the photo to explain...for example "water drop erased from lense on bottom corner of photo" or "saturation and exposure adjusted" I dont think we need any mathematic equations tho. The reason for this is it would be good to know if a picture hasnt been touched up.

As far as the slr>p&s seperation, thats fine, but you should only submit one photo per contest...not one slr and one p-n-s.

I think we should roll with one contest for now and see how it goes and see if theres good participation. 'Fish portrait' is good since thats kinda the theme of our lives. .

I'm a little worried about having so many "sticky" threads in the photography section that the contest will monopolize the section.

Maybe if we can keep only the contest photo thread sticky until its time to vote, then we can have the vote sticky until the contest is called. The discussion can float around as a normal thread??

Two weeks sounds about right. I dont think it should drag on too long.

Whatever the case. I think (with Bills O.K) we should start a thread PHOTO CONTEST; POINT and SHOOT and a second thread, PHOTO CONTEST; SLR

I dont think I know how to make a sticky post so if someone does...fire away!

I gotta come clean when I saw Bolden post here I thought "Well there goes the neighborhood" Once ole Rob gets wind of this, there'll be little hope for the rest of us I can picture it now, Bolden at one end of a dusty, ghost town street, Rob at the other, shutter fingers twitching...

Jay

Hey guys I second what Bolden and Jbird say. Not to many "stickys" and 2 weeks is a good length of time. Long enough to try and take a photo if you don't have one and not so long you get bored.

Jbird don't worry about coming clean because I feel the same way about Bolden and Rob. Both of them are geat photographers but it will be a challenge to try and test them and see what they come up with. Maybe we can inspire them to more greatness. Or at least learn something from them in the process.

I hope to join in as my computer is going downhill fast and I can't buy a new one until my wife finds a new job. I am trying to let her adjust resumes and apply for jobs before the thing blows so I have been staying away. Just what I need to hear " were you on one of your fishing sites again when the computer went down?

By the way Thanks to Rob for bringing to my attention the Fred Miranda site. A great site for photogs. I have been addicted to the macro section for weeks now.

Good Luck to all to enter ....Craig.

Jay

Go into I Photo and click & drag the photo onto your desktop (You may have to make your I Photo window a bit smaller by dragging the corner, if you know what I mean) Then you can do the usual photobucket procedure of browse - select desktop and the photo file will be there for selection and upload. (Just got an iMac myself and literally just worked out how to do it with a post to the Warmwater forum )
    Cheers
    Mike
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

Whatever the case. I think (with Bills O.K) we should start a thread PHOTO CONTEST; POINT and SHOOT and a second thread, PHOTO CONTEST; SLR
    If we do seperate the submissions like this, do you think there would still be one discussion thread and one voting thread? I am assuming they will end
    at the same time, so the voting should be easy enough in one thread. Just put, slr:"name" and p&s:"name" for who you think should win.

I also just thought that the winner should choose the next contest topic so there is at least some reward for winning.

Maybe tomorrow or sunday we can actually get this thing started, so everyone who reads this please chime in and tell us what you think.

Adam,

I didn't say anything about your photo be photo shop'd. I was making a statement in regards to the photo contest that was proposed.
    I believe back (in the dinosaur age) when I attended Brooks photography school, they taught us composition, balance, exposures settings, etc....
    That's how the photo's should be submitted.
    I'm old school but that's when photography was photograpy. Nowadays, photoshop does wonders

Jay