Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heenan report 9/1/07

Default Heenan report 9/1/07

Went to Heenan over the weekend. It was my first trip to this unique fishery. I arrived at the gate a little early and waited patiently with 15 other cars to enter the parking lot.

Launched my tube at 7am to 64 degree surface temp. Landed my first fish within 5 minutes trolling an olive Bugger. It didn't put up much of a fight for a 20" fish. I didn't even have to get it on the reel, just stripped it right in and released it clean w/o having to remove it from the water.

The next fish didn't come for about 2 hours. Then all of a sudden I took 3 in about 45 minutes time, all in the same general area of one another. I found a big school I guess. 2 were fooled by the ever popular Heenan Prince nymph size 14 and the last of these fish took my dropper, a BH Zug Bug size 16. All 3 fish would of taped to about 18-20" but I didn't take them out of the water all the way to fully examine them, as the temp had increased to 70 on the surface by this time. These 3 fish DID put up a good fight and needed to be resuscitated a bit when released. Heenan cutts tend to roll over and sink when released so make sure you support them with a wet hand under their belly and gently nurse them back to health so that they can live on to propagate the species.

Another couple of hours went by socializing with a variety of friendly neighbors trying not to hook each other on our back casts or drift over each others lines. Then I got the biggest fish of the day. A fat 24" lunker aggressively munched down a size 12 Damsel nymph. This monster put up a good 5 minute fight and I was really putting the wood to it with the confidence only 3x tippet can provide. I really wish I would of had a camera for this beauty, the colors were amazing. I cleanly released the specimen to a crowd of excited onlookers and proceeded to kick my way around the lake for another 5 hours to no avail. I saw or heard of only 2 fish being caught the entire rest of the day. Spotty is a great way to describe the bite at Heenan on this day.

I landed a total of 5 fish, all between 18-24" and apparently that is a pretty good day on Heenan lake. Although 5 fish in about 10 hours of fishing CAN get a little tedious when your baking in the sun at elevation, I am still glad I went and will go back at least once more, probably in October. Tight Lines!

Thanks Bill for the report. Sounds like it was a worthwhile trip up the hill. Can't beat burning off a few calories flipn round the lake.
    Tight lines and screaming reels.

It gets better as it gets cooler in October.

Thanks for the great report.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great report Bill, thanks! You obviously caught some great fish. Sounds like there's no point in staying past noontime at this point.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Those Heenan rainbows look prehistoric.

They're Cutts, not Rainbows. What's a pre-historic Rainbow look like?
    RFT

Quote Originally Posted by Reno Flytyer
    What's a pre-historic Rainbow look like?
    RFT
    Like a cutt

Like a cutt
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I shudda known!
    RFT

i should do stand up