Thread: Peacock Bass on Kauai

Default Peacock Bass on Kauai

Aloha, I just spent the weekend over on Kauai teaching a soccer clinic. I had time to slip away and hit a friend's lake for some peacock bass action with my son.

They are good fun on the fly rod. They whack flies, like to jump and take you into cover. We each caught over 20 in a bout 2 hours of fishing. My son really enjoyed himself.

Kaui is very beautiful, with great beaches and scenery.

Well I gotta blow, laterz, Mems.
    Don Memmer

That looks like fun Don. How'd you get to Kauai? A plane is my guess, but you could take a boat. How do locals primarily travel between islands.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I've fished that lake with my wife, we both caught many peacock bass. It was one of the prettiest lakes I have been on.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Howzit mems, looks like you guys had a fun one on Kauai. It is definitely a beautiful place!

Can you share any information about fishing this lake on Kaui. I will be there next week. Or if you know of any guides for any other fly fishing there?

When were Peacock Bass introduced to Hawaii?

There are a number of ponds on Kauai with peacocks. Wahita is the largest, but this one is open to Trout unlimited members. It is just above tunnel tree road. I also got to fish some private ponds on the Polihale side and caught them to 10 lbs. There is a guide service that fishes wahita. They use bass boats and also target large-mouth bass in the reservoir. I don't know when they were planted there. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Aloha, here is Rob Arita's website. http://www.bonefishkauai.com/
    Don Memmer

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    There are a number of ponds on Kauai with peacocks. Wahita is the largest, but this one is open to Trout unlimited members. It is just above tunnel tree road. I also got to fish some private ponds on the Polihale side and caught them to 10 lbs. There is a guide service that fishes wahita. They use bass boats and also target large-mouth bass in the reservoir. I don't know when they were planted there. Mems.
    Thanks Don,I gather from your reply that the Peacock Bass are confined to those impoundments you mention which is a good thing.