Thread: Advice - Truckee River Between Lake Tahoe and Squaw

Default Advice - Truckee River Between Lake Tahoe and Squaw

I am heading to South Lake Tahoe and staying in Tahoe City. I have fished the Truckee River is the town of Truckee and also the Little Truckee, but never between the Lake and Squaw Valley.

How is the fishing? A couple of years ago, I saw a lot of rafters. Same flies in the town of Truckee? Whats been working lately?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Was camping up there last week - it's starting to cool a bit but water temps were 70+ mid-day. That part of the river is stocked and is open to bait fishing so it gets fished out compared to the lower river. Hatches were non-existent in the evening. If you can get lower on the river I would recommend it; if not fish the upper river you mentioned. As far as flies the normal fare applies; small caddis, copper johns, etc.

You're going to see a lot of rafters in the upper section. Try crayfish or olive wooly bugger patterns and don't be afraid to pull big streamers during low light for big fish.

Early and late will be best with the traffic.

Fishing kinda sucks up there, relative to the river below Truckee, because you're dealing with mostly planters. If you gotta fish that stretch, fish below river ranch, and fish the early AM hours with a birds nest under a big bushy dry. Focus on the deeper slots and heads of pools.

Have fun,

-John