Thread: Fishing the Gualala

Default Fishing the Gualala

I'm going to be near the mouth of the Gualala River in mid-September. I have never been there before but thought about bringing my fly fishing gear along. So, any information that you can share would be much appreciated. (Are there any specific regs to be aware of? Are there salmon or steelhead to be caught there? Is there a certain spot(s) that I should try? Specific techniques/flies?)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Default Gualala River....

Unless you're going to fish the rocks/surf, you'd better forget the Gualala at this time of year. In all but the years with a very heavy, early rainfall, the bar at the mouth of the river doesn't open until late November to mid-december.

Also, there are special regs governing fishing over there. I believe the river below Annapolis is closed to all fishing until instream flows reach a specified level. Lotsa places to fly fish in the salt over there.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian is right. According to the DFG regs steelhead season "opens" on November 1st on coastal rivers. But then there is the low flow closure. So depending on the rains it could be towards the end of November or early december before it actually opens. They usually wait for a good blow out or two before they open it. Then when its nice and high and muddy they give us the ole "its open guys go for it!" Granted they also do this to help let the silvers get up certain rivers unmolested so it is a good thing. They will also close the rivers due to low flows during the season. There is a number to call in the regs. If you are making a trip over this way during steelhead season and its been dry for a couple of weeks you want to give the number a call and make sure the rivers are open 707-944-5533. Im afraid the beach or rocks may be your best bet at this time of year in that area. Kevin

I did some surf fishing at Gualala County park about a month ago. I didn't catch anything, but it was fun to get out and cast a line. The beach isn't too steep and there appeared to be some structure that might hold fish. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips. I guess steelhead may not be in the cards. But I've never fly fished the surf before. So, are we talking perch and stripers? What kind of flies would I need for perch?

Check out this site. Be sure to read Mark's descriptions of his days on the water. You'll get all the info you need to know. Unlike me, you might even catch a fish.

http://home.att.net/~surf.perch/Main.html

That looks like a great website. Thanks, Bill. I can't wait to get out there next month! Perch will be a new species for me. In the meantime, hopefully, the American steelhead will appear and I can satisfy the urge to catch some silver.

Tight lines...

The mouth of the Gualala River will usually be closed with a build up of sand till you get enough rain to open it in December.

The Garcia River to the north is always open. You might cast a clear slow sinking line with a black woolly bugger in the AM and PM just inside the tide water if it's legal. You might find a small salmon or Steelhead hanging around the lower part of the river west of Hwy 1.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........