Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flies for the Klamath

I like that last pattern a lot Adam! Headed up there next week. Here's a few of my bugs.

Aaron, nice flies! Are they tied on Alec Jackson hooks? I haven't gone into traditional spey patterns like those yet, I don't klnow if I ever will. But I can totally appreciate some of the work to tie those beautiful flies.

Keep up the good work.

Have you played with tubes flies yet?

I have found the 1" sizes to be a little bit difficult to spey cast with my 1287 ARC.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The gold hook is an Alec Jackson while the black is a Tiemco 202sp. I've really enjoyed tying these traditional patterns lately and am going to focus on fishing them on the Klamath/Trinity this season. The two flies posted are surprisingly easy to tie. To me it as almost as fun digging through the history and nostalgia of classic patterns/materials as fishing them.

As far as tubes go I like them a lot for winter fishing. You can tie some really simple patterns with marabou or rabbit that can be absolutely deadly and the short shank hooks are great for keeping fish hooked up.

Good luck on the Klamath

-Aaron

Great looking flies Aaron. Especially like that first one. Those flies will do well on the Klamath and beyond!

Adam. Love those red butt hiltons on the right in your photo. Very nice!!!

Looking forward to the coming reports.....the rogue sucks lately!

Jay

Jay, sorry to hear about the Rogue

Adam Grace

Adam that is a GREAT looking box of flies for the Klamath. When I fish there I always start with with a brown assasin with a silver flash tail. It looks as though you already have a good assortment but thought I would mention one more that was the best producer for my dad and I last year. It was a peacock hilton. Simply a silver hilton with a peacock herl body. Just be sure to twist the herl with oval tinsel or better yet wire before wrapping the body. Good luck and have a great time. Kevin

Kevin, Thanks for the suggestion about a Peacock Hilton, I will tie some up.

Thanks also for mentioning twisting the peacock herl, that is a very important technique when using that material. I prefer to twist my herl around wire for strength and some added weight when I tie larger flies. I prefer to twist it around thread for smaller flies like trout nymphs.

Adam Grace

Adam - nice flies but what are you going to use the second day??

Should be a good trip - just got back - Bruce and I did not fish real hard but found a number of adults and a few half pounders.

As you guys see when I get excited about a trip like this I tend to go a little overboard on fly production but I hate never having enough of a "hot" fly and it's hard to know what's going to be a hot fly. I realize that getting the fly in front of the fish in a matter that pleases them can be more important then the style or color but sometimes the fly can make all the difference.

Adam Grace

The next time I'm swinging for steelhead I'm going to use a fly Al Perryman gave me. It's called a Lady Caroline. I'm sure it will work on the Klamath very well.
    http://www.danica.com/flytier/dwall/lady_caroline.htm
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin