Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flies for the Klamath

Default Flies for the Klamath

I have always heard about the popular Klamath flies such as the assassins, mossbacks, and herniators but do you guys have any favorite swinging pattern for half pounders and adults, if so in what sizes do you prefer?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

My favorite Klamath flies are the Green Butt Skunk, the Silver Hilton and Burlap.

I use 2 flies 90% of the time - number one would be a copper bead head moss back (size 8 and 6). Second fly is the Klamath Caddis designed by Brett Jensen - it is a burlap on a TMC 200 tied low water style - fat reversed bullet head underbody of foam with a burlap overbody (natural color works well but I have changed colors - burnt orange is a great one on the North Umpqua when the October Caddis are around). Elk hair wing and soft hackle throat.

I always carry a few others including the Silver Hilton and Brindle Bug as well as a few soft hackles such as grizzly/yellow and grizzly/olive.

If I get a grab and especially if I think it is an adult, I generally will move back upstream 20 feet or so, change flies and go back through - this really paid off last year with a number off hooked fish.

Rick,

We just got some BH Burlaps in that look a little bit like Brett's caddis you showed me before.

We just got a huge shipment of flies for the Klamath River and others.

I like a Silver Hilton in size 8 for the Klamath River.

Another fly that I have used is the Renegade which I got from fishing with Chris Pasley. Peacock bodied flies are good.

I think there are lots of flies that will work. A size #8/10 BH Prince nymph should be about as good as anything but not much sex appeal.

Noe Fierros, a 30 veteran on the Klamath, uses some patterns that look like October caddis dry and pupa patterns?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Adam,

I think you best bet for the Klamath is an assassin. I am good friends with a number of guides up there and year in year out that is the top producer in August and September. Size 6 or 8, brown with krystal flash tail. If you send me your address, I'll pop a few Klamath flies in an envelope and send them to you (you can e-mail me jrupp@watermc.com).

Good thing is you can use your imagination up there. Any standard steelhead flies will work, also black leeches. But that assassin is a killer.

I am pretty sure that the late Dale Lackey developed that fly. Basically a dark green woolly worm with some flash. Deadly.........

It is on the list of top 10 Klamath River flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

bigtj, I sent you a pm, thanks again for the offer but I have plenty of assassins from my last trip.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Klamath Flies

Adam I have been fishing the lower Klamath between Cappell and Mettah for over 25 yrs. Like Bill said Silver Hilton is a sure bet along with the brindle. Try to fish just below Roach Creek or the Mettah either side of the Mettah riffle will produce, just offer a couple of cigars to Lenard the local care taker of the west side of the river sometimes he he will try to kick fisherman off but he really cant. There our always good people fishing there that tie there own flies that are size 10-12 and always share. They look like a red brindle bud w/ a bead head. Good luck I am there this coming week. Cant wait.

My favorite klamath fly is a tmc 105 hook with a pegged bead 1" above hook.

Only kidding!

I would go with a October Hilton #5 tied low water.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

The "Bloody Mary' is another fly used on the Klamath. Always good to have a bug with a little red in it.
    T.