Thread: Putah Creek, 09 August 2007

Default Putah Creek, 09 August 2007

I was able to fish the creek again this morning for a couple of hours. I hooked six fish, landing four of them. Four of the hooked fish were typical hatchery trout, while two were good-sized. The biggest caught was a 21" rainbow. I got her on #24 black drowned midge pattern. Two of the other fish landed took the same fly. The #18 micro mayfly only caught one fish. They must be getting onto me or something. The hottest fish was the last one I hooked. He was about 20-22". When hooked, he shook his head a few times, then bolted downstream, almost taking me to my backing. He then stopped, turned around, and ran right back at me. There was no way to recover all the slack line, so he, like so many other big Putah rainbows, showed me who's really boss on the creek.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Nice job, Jason. I can't believe your fishing #24's already! Let me see a pic of that damn drowned midge you're always talkin about.

Lets try to get together next week

I'm so amazed when I hear about the size of Putah fish! Its really rare to see a report that didn't pull in a 17"+ rainbow! Do they plant them large or what? In the water I fish a 20" fish is a major rarity and nothing to take lightly...

JT...24's? Man I have a hard time getting good hook sets with 20's. Thats icreadable that you can do that. Good report.

As for a ton of large fish in Putah, there are a lot of large fish, proportionally, but there are not a ton of fish.
    They shoot canoes, don't they?
    -Nick

There are tons of small black midges in Putah Creek. There are literally millions of them lining the banks and rocks. If you wade the creek, you will have them crawling all over your legs and sometimes your arms and neck. I've been fishing for them with #20-22 midges, but the naturals were a little smaller. I found some #24's about a month ago and finally got up the nerve to try them. They are just about the right size. From what I've observed so far the #24's hold a little better. It's more difficult to hook the fish, though.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

So JT comes strolling in, with a big smile on his face, and shows me his ridiculously small Drowned Midge....

Very cool and practical, yet simple fly.

I might have to make some, only I don't have any 24's