Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nymphing for steelhead

If you nymph because you are concerned about numbers of fish then maybe you should reconsider the reasons you go fishing.
    If you're more interested in the numbers of fish you catch than the health of your fisheries so be it. . . .
    Awfully strong and presumptuous statements for a moderator on this board. Coming from anyone else, I might have thought it was a troll. . . .
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Jay has his opinion and I have mine. Just goes to show the variety of opinions in one aspect of the sport. As with most things in life, to each their own.

Aaron,

I understand where you are coming from, because I love to fish the swing as well, but keep this in perspective. Unlike the NU, most of the places where you can fish for steelhead on the swing you can also fish for them with a big old blob of eggs, a pink worm under a float, or a kastmaster. Which would you rather see? Somebody fishing with a blob of eggs or a nymph? And which is more dangerous to the fish? I don't really know for certain, although I do know a blob of egg catches the most fish usually. The simple fact of the matter is that I would not be at all surprised if 90% of steelhead caught in the US are caught on a blob of eggs. Whatever the percentage is, it is a lot. Fishing with nymphs probably can't be any more harmful than a blob of eggs or a kastmaster. And in reality it's probably a lot less harmful to a run.

Your statement:
    If you nymph because you are concerned about numbers of fish then maybe you should reconsider the reasons you go fishing.
    is a lot to swallow for most folks. It isn't going to win you any friends or convince anybody to fish the swing. All it is going to do is reinforce the idea that swing-only guys are pretty stuck-up. If you really are passionate about convincing guys to switch over to the swing, come up with a new approach, something that will work and not drive people away - honey always catches more flies than vinegar. Coming on the board and dropping a bomb like that won't get you anywhere.

The most ironic part about all this is I really tried to make that trip with you guys but couldn't because of work. I would have fished the whole week on the swing and I'm willing to bet you would have found I was a pretty nice guy to be around. In fact, I sent a really long e-mail to Jason that hopefully gave you guys some ideas on where and when to fish. The fact that I will fish a nymph or an egg on occasion doesn't make me any less of a good guy, any less ethical, or any less of a sportsman. I fish glo-bugs in the winter for steelhead because it usually means the difference between catching a fish or not. I don't think that is any reason to reconsider why I fish.

Hopefully we can meet on the river some time and have a chance to carry on this conversation in person. I'm glad you guys had a great trip, and impressed with the fact you are so passionate about the sport.

Stay away from the swing, it's mine. lol
    Less talk, more rock.

Very well said TJ. I considered why I fish and after a lot of thought I came to a conclusion. Hang on to your seats, I fish to catch fish. Hmmm, maybe that's why it's called fishing rather than casting. I'm just flipping stuff at you Aaron. No disrespect intended.
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

I would have fished the whole week on the swing
    Sure John! You probably wouldve snuck off to do some kind of North umpqua rebellion

"John? Is that a nightcrawler I see coming out of your vest pocket?"

J

PS When pasting a quote from another poster, How do you get the title.."quote from..." to appear? rather than just "quote" like mine always do?

Very funny Jay. By the way those nightcrawlers come out of my chest pack, not my vest; that way I can hold the bigger foam containers in there.

Seriously though the NU is one place where I always fish the swing, even below the deadline. There is some good nymphing water on the NU below the deadline but I don't ever fish it with a nymph. BC is the same way...I don't nymph up there, either. Not sure why. I guess maybe because swinging is such a fun way to fish and it suits those rivers and the fish better for me. Whatever reason, it's a blast.

Later,

-John

May I add my own limited steelhead river knowledge here....

I have fished rivers like the Klamath that are perfect for swinging with long fish holding runs and tailouts that are a swinger's dream come true.

I have also fished smaller steelhead rivers, like a lot of the water in the upper Trinity, that are more conducive to nymphing along with the current not across the current. Nymphing allows us to fish different waters that swinging cannot properly tackle.

I have also fished waters like the Rogue that have great water for both types of techniques and in that situation you should use the technique that you enjoy the most.

After all fishing is about enjoying time away from the stresses and worries of normal day-today life.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Well said Adam. If i had anything to say it would be along the same lines. Fish on. Its about that time of year for steelies. I love the late summer, early fall!
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Ethics??????

How do you guys feel about using cast nets Rarely misses, quick landing, all fish caught can be released relatively unharmed, no flies or bait involved
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown