Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nymphing for steelhead

Default Nymphing for steelhead

I read a post on the general forum about nymphing for steelhead. Would like to hear more details about how that is done.

So far, I've just been swinging using a sinktip. This type of setup is easy to cast and allows you to cover a lot of water.

But I learned a deep nymphing technique for the lower Sac last June that worked great for the wild rainbows there and seems like it would also work for steelhead as well.

It consisted of using a strike indicator with a post. The leader below the indicator is straight mono, not tapered with shot about 1-2ft above a weighted fly. This setup allows the fly to sink quickly and the post gives you an indication of how vertical your leader is as it goes through the run. But this setup is a pain to cast so is used more for drifting in a boat.

Thinking of giving this setup a try while wading, but would like to hear how others nymph deep for steelhead from the shore.

A lot of people fish that same setup from the bank, but they have to get used to casting that rig.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

That rig will catch lotsa fish. It works best from the bank with a 10' rod and a Rio Atlantic Salmon/Steelhead taper.

Mark
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

What is a post? I use a rig like that a lot for steelhead in winter....Works great.

Indicator nymphing works better than swinging flies when:

The water is very cold (under 50 degrees).

When fish are 'stale' because they have been in the river a long time.

When you have mostly hatchery fish.

When fish have been 'pounded'.

When the sun is on the water.

When salmon are spawning in the river.

Most of the time, generally.

__________________________________________________ _________

I believe that swinging flies/classic Steelheading is on a big comeback mostly because of the popularity of Spey casting.

For swinging flies to be effective you need:

More Wild Steelhead,

Sun off the water.

Water over 50 degrees.

No salmon spawning in the river.

Fresh run of fish, but not always.

Fish that have not been pounded.

A little luck.

__________________________________________________ ____

Catching a lot of Steelhead is not necessary to have a good day of Steelheading.

This is just general info that can be disputed by anyone who thinks he is a Steelheader.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'd nymph for steelies with an indicator and a caddis pupa and egg dropper on the American. I'd probably switch to a stone nymph if it was the Trinity, but egg as the trailer.

Level mono/flouro just gets down quicker. If you think about it, you don't really need a tapered leader for nymphing...But hey, I do it. Czech nymphing and tight line nymphing are best with straight mono or flour leaders.

I think you will catch a lot more fish using an indicator - its cheating

I don't mean to ramble off topic but...I have fished the Trinity a lot in the last year. I rarely see anyone swinging, which I find strange. I swing soft hackles and a few other flies there more than nymphing/dries. ???
    Less talk, more rock.

The middle Rogue River in October and the upper Trinity River in November are usually full of fish now but the big problem with both is the water is usually around 50 degrees which makes indicator nymphing a fare better method than swinging flies.

Salmon spawning too.

Lots of "pounding" too.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Klamath River in Sept/Oct is warmer so swing flies early and late on the top with low light works very well. We are headed there soon.

__________________________________________________ __________

I promote classic Steelheading but you have to do it when it is most effective.

__________________________________________________ ______

You can swing flies in Sept/Oct on the lower American river. April/May can be good too without flooding.

__________________________________________________ ________

Lower Trinity River in Sept/Oct is a time and place you can swing flies.

Deschutes River in Sept/Oct is a good time and place to swing flies.

Grand Ronde in October is a great situation.

Not saying you can't swing flies for Steelhead all the time but try to go when your odds are better, especially if you are in the newbie situation.

__________________________________________________ ________

I'm so spoiled at my age I always fish a floating line and swing flies in the surface now. I'm not even really interested in fishing sinktips in cold water either. If I hook a fish once and a while on top I am in heaven. I like that type of fly casting without a bunch of junk on my line.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by A Matthews
    What is a post?
    This is the type of indicator with a post I was talking about.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful to understand when it is most favorable to use each technique.

Sounds like for the lower American, nymphing is the way to go most of the time.

Bill

I like the way you broke down time/temp= technique. You are spot on. You have to match your technique to the fishs' motabolism. Being cold blooded, they are totally at the mercy of the conditions. Not only does it dictate the technique that is most effective, but also the type of water to target. I cant say that I have noticed a lopsided number of hatchery or native fish liking one technique over the other.

one of the cool things about nymphing is, you typically have a lot of loose line laying around you in the water. When that big steelhead grabs and goes, the situation becomes critical instantly. Anything and everything can happen to that loose line as it clears in a second or two. One of the many memmorable ones was a huge loop of line arched up in the air and straight over my head and around the back of my neck ...it was a salmon if i recall it right. I had to run after the fish with my head bowed to it and thankfully the loop slid off of my head Fun stuff!

Jay