Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new Rio afs spey lines

I was talking with Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods in southern Oregon today and he said that the new Rio 'AFS' Spey lines come with integrated tips and the ones with the Intermediate tip cast exceptionally well too.

We will be geting some of them as well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi Bill, The new AFS with integrated intermediate is excellent and will appeal to all levels of casters With a full range of intermediate and sinking poly leaders one could fish a lot of water with ease. The AFS intermediate has energy to handle poly tips to 12 feet, I hope we get the type 3 and type 6 soon. Hope you are stocking a lot of poly leaders they will be very popular with this line system.

Steve 541-840-2594

Thanks for all the good info here Steve.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

We have the Rio 'AFS' floating heads in now.

Integrated ones with intermediate tips are coming next week.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I got a chance to try these lines at the Kiene's spey event last weekend, I really like them. They are easy to shoot further than other lines. The lighter tip is not meant to fish really heavy heads only floating or sinking leaders, but they fire off well.

This head is not meant for very deep fishing but it casts very well. I you want to fish deep the skagit heads are much better.

Simon Gawesworth at Rio can design a mean fly line!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have to disagree with adam, the AFS with integrated intermediate tip plus the type 7 rio versileader was consistantly on the bottom just as well as anything I have ever cast.

Aaron, first of all how deep were you fishing and how fast was the current, also how large was your fly. I have been having an e-mail conversation with Simon Gawesworth at Rio, maybe you've heard of him?

I told Simon that I liked the AFS and that I was hoping to fish tips with it, he mentioned that you can cast sinking leaders with the AFS but the thinner and longer front taper of the AFS lacks the bulk and taper to properly turnover the longer and heavier sinktips like skagit heads that can more easily cast large flies and keep them on the bottom better.

Anyway, he is sending me one of each to try out and I will report about them later.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Wow there boys!

It was a pleasure to cast the new Rio AFS heads at Kiene's spey event last weekend. While i am a big fan of fishing skagit lines in the winter using heavy tips and big flies, i believe the new AFS intermediate lines with heavier poly leaders can reach extremely deep water. The advantage of an intermediate line over a skagit head and tip is that the intermediate is going to maintain more of a consistent depth during the swing and can swing a bit slower being that the line is subsurface. The one thing i dislike about skagits is that a floating belly with a dc tip or t-14 fishes with a little more drag as opposed to an intermediate head/belly. While skagits are great for big flies and heavy tips i think the new AFS intermediates will be great for lighter winter fishing and heavier summer flows. Looking forward to picking up a few. Just my .02 cents worth!
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Right On, Jason!!!
    By the way, I loaded up my Monic 0.030 and cast the AFS 400 on my Meiser System 6 and ACR 1296 today at Watt Ave...sweet! Aaron thinks so too.
    That darned Aaron even landed a beautiful half-pounder on my set-up when he tried it out... Aaron, you OWE me!

Don

Don, It's always a pleasure chatting and casting with you. Hopefully the run stays strong and we can really get into em' sometime.

-aaron