Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new Rio afs spey lines

Default new Rio afs spey lines

Has anybody tried these yet? I want to get one for my anderson 7139 and my older 6126-3. which ones should i get ?

I have not heard yet but Jeff Putnam or Aaron Stiny might know something about them Shawn.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill
    they are brand new. I was hoping jeff has tried them andwould chime in on this thread.

I would send jeff an e-mail but my Isp wont let me send e-mails over a wireless network that isnt hooked up to their network.

shawn

They're nice...if you are into the shooting head game. Add a Rio poly leader your set. They are a bit more aggressive than your standard scando head so they should turn over heavier tips and flies a bit better as well. At some point Rio will be releasing a type 4 sinking head that should be an awesome fishing line.

Havent tried them. Was reading about them on another fly shop site and they gave line recs. for sage rods. For the 6126-3 the 7/8 was recomended. (Thats what the site said so dont hold me to it!)Looks like a great line, especially like the loops at both ends as it will make for a quick change as conditions change.Been using a similar style line made buy Beulah. Matched with varying polyleaders they are quite versatile. I like this style of line for use in the wind and when you really need to reach out there. They absolutely FLY!! with very little effort. Looking forward to seeing the setup with tips. Hope this helps.Kevin

Had the opportunity to try them at a Rio/Sage day this summer for the shops in CA. I really liked them. You can shoot a lot of line with them. I believe they had them set up with Rio Slick Shooter running line. We should have them in the shop when they become available.

Default Rio AFS

Gary Anderson has recently recieved these heads and he has generously shared with me, advantages of a spey shop rat. I have cast them but do not have a lot of time on the water with them, but from the very long front taper you can predict that certain characteristics are going to be present.

First of all I love the new Rio heads and second they are nothing like Vision Ace or Beulah Elixir's, which I also love. Third I thought the name was weird until I cast them but there is something in the taper that creates flight and carry, hence extreme shooting distance. The best situation for these heads will be normal to long distance, far and fine presentations with a scandi head. They are not the best payload delivery system, which the Vision and Beulah are. The AFS heads are the other side of the equation from the Rio Skagit, I hope everybody tries them, and they take a bite out of Skagits, they are awesome. The new heads have finesse where the Skagits have brute power, the Vision's and Elixir's are in between.

For those who like the SA short head spey, another favorite of mine (Al Burh is brilliant), and wanted it as a head, here it is. Now if we only had a Dragon's Tail running line.

Steve G 541-840-2594

Thanks for the great info Steve.

We are trying to stay up with all this too.

Fall is near.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Re: Rio AFS

Quote Originally Posted by SPG
    Gary Anderson has recently recieved these heads and he has generously shared with me, advantages of a spey shop rat.
    Steve G 541-840-2594
    What fly shop do you work at?

Hi Johnson,

I work for Gary Anderson, Bob Meiser, Beulah and I have my own Custom 2 Hanhed Rod Shop doing work on about 300 spey rods a year. I do design for off shore graphite production and have been rolling some of my own blanks locally at the Rogue Rods facility in White City. I use a graphite engineering technique that I developed and call Blueprinting, that allows me to produce the smoothest most energy effiecent tapers in the world. When all the rods sections are working together, you get a biggger grain window, the ability to throw closer and longer, liter and heavier, fewer tailing loops with an effortless short casting stroke.

Steve 541-840-2594