Thread: North Coast CA streams

Default North Coast CA streams

Does anyone have any smaller stream suggestions for the north coast CA? I've fished Redwood Creek but am looking for other options in a few weeks. Preferably in the Eureka to Crescent City area. Thanx!
    Less talk, more rock.

Not small stream but the Smith in the summer is not large and chance for some cutts - might try the various forks - I think the North Fork has a nice hiking trail along it - may even be a few summer steelhead?

Check regs as it has been awhile since I was up there

The only stream with a decent population of resident trout on the coast is the Smith. Everywhere else you'll be fishing for juevenille steelhead which isn't a good idea as these fish need as much help as they can to make it to adulthood. The Middle fork of the Smith above Patrick creek is a great piece fo water for wild cutts. Check the regs, barbless, you can kill two cutties over 10" but why?. Keep in mind this water is closed to steelhead fishing the rest of the year.

The lagoons - big, stone, and freshwater - provide some trout fishing too. But it's not that good. By the end of August the lower Klamath provides good fishing for half-pounders. However, overall the north coast is not a very good place to do trout fishing. Go inland and fish the Marbles or the Trinity alps if you want some serious trout fishing. Lots of info about these areas on the web.

Good luck,

-John

Cool, thanx for the info.
    Less talk, more rock.

It never hurts to go see Mike at the Eureka Fly shop for infor 707-444-2000.