Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wtb- 1wt or less

I have an Orvis 1 wt. I call it a novelty rod; It's kind of fun for small bass on Natoma and dinks in creeks but I rarely use it. I'd go with Bill's recommendation.

how about scotts fibretouch?

I picked up a 8'6" 3wt tfo professional for about that price. I dont know how to tell if its a true wt class, but the thing is so wonderful, its just noodly enough to know a 12" trout is gonna rip me one with it I think its one of the funnest rods to fish I have. I couldnt even imagine a 1 wt. That seems too light for anything. Maybe not?
    Jay, Isnt that a great little rod to cast? Perfect small stream rod, and its got enough action to throw a decent roll cast. Believe it or not, you can even chuck smaller bass bugs with that thing about 40' or so... You'll have a heck of a time if you hook up though... Can you say backing?

Jay and SFG,

I couldn't agree with you guys more.

I own an ECHO 9ft 4wt fast action rod for trout fishing larger streams and a TFO 8'6" 3wt for trout in small Sierra Lakes and streams. That TFO is huge fun, especially for $139!

I really like them both, and even though one wt separates them, the difference feels more like two or three! Funny thing is, I have lines in floating, intermediate and full sink, all in 4wt, and the 3wt throws them just fine! I just can't "punch" my cast like with the ECHO 4wt.

It's weird to me that they feel so dramatically different but can cast the same lines.

In any case, I agree... the rod is really fun to cast and a 10" trout has me !
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

The $89 8'-6" TFO 4 weight 2 piece rod (green blank) is quite a rod as well. I cannot say that all the rods in the $89-$99 range for TFO are as nice but the beforementioned model is pretty darn nice.

BTW, I am a high end fly rod devotee, but this particular model got my attention.

superflyguy

I have cast giant bass bugs..including 2/0 crease flies with that little rod. Well, I dont know if you could call it casting. I caught several 3-4lb bass with it and it was really fun. But nothing compared to this gastly beast on the 3wt.

Wow, I would have to say the Scott fibertouch 3 weight is the best 3 weight I have ever used. I own one and love it and wouldn't trade it for any other 3 weights I have cast. I cannot think of a single fault.

Jay, that's a nice hybrid you got there. I bet that it was fun on your lightweight rod.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I picked up a Thomas and Thomas Heirloom 3wt,7'6" earlier this year and love it. That fiberglass action is perfect for lightweight rods and small trout streams. Their bamboo shop makes them and the workmanship is superb.
    They just seem to be hard to find out here, but worth trying if you find one.