Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DAS BOAT ......

Default and...

And david, that IS ONE BEAUTIFUL BOAT.
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Nice boat David and I see you have a can of the proper attitude adjuster on hand for the job. I looks like it will make a good flyfishing platform.
    When I was a kid my Dad kept his boat on a mooring in the bay. We used a boat like that to row out to the boat and for a shore boat. We called them Dinghys. They were light and rowed very well. I used to love rowing all around the bay in them. Some models even had a sail. Everyone who had a boat on a mooring had one and there would be 20 or more of them chained to a cable at the access points to the bay. After a while, inflateables took over as shore boats.

Mark
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

David
    A beautiful little boat! It brings back a flood of memories. My dad and I built one very similar, only ours was a kit boat that we upgraded. I caught a ton of bass, bluegill and perch out of that as a kid, back in the midwest. Your's is a very worthy project indeed. Hope you post photos of the finished boat.
    Tom Moore

If you do 'glass it, use epoxy resin- not polyester. Polyester is cheaper- but will peel off after a few years. DO use gloves when working with epoxy, you can devlelop an allergic reaction to epoxy over time. Keep the hull dry when storing, don't let water (rain) sit in it and it will last for years. Cool memories of your Dad there.
    Here is a link to a very good group on wooden boats.
    http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/
    They are a good source of advise on this type of boat.

David,

Glassing is easy. Just stand back and take a look at the shape and then lay out your glass and start feathering with your hands. I would take the overlap up 2" on the sides. Then you glass the sides (one at a time). I glass a few wooden prams but my main glassing was surf boards. That's what I did in my younger days. Designed, shaped and glass boards.
    Speaking of glassing, I have to add a couple of strips on the bottom of my pram where the ground has started to wear the bottom thin. Yep, to lazy to carry it so I drag it

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi
    David,

Glassing is easy. I glass a few wooden prams but my main glassing was surf boards. That's what I did in my younger days.

Jay
    Sounds like an offer to get involved if I ever heard one....
    and, thus Lee-Craft Industries was born
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

David,

That is one nice looking pram.

I can understand your wanting to "blueprint" the vessel in lieu of refinishing it for use.

If it were me, I would probably "blueprint" it first, then restore it. Then it would go on the 'rack' for display. I'd then go out and buy an aluminum pram to use.

That's just me. I can be more a museum curator at times.

Thanks for sharing the stories.

Dave,

That is a sweet pram, and just the whole where it came from and who made it is awesome. But I agree with the others, make a set of plans from it, I can put everything into CAD format and plot scaled drawings. And I think you will enjoy a pram more than your kayak, I have a feeling when you, Ed, and I went to the Cosumens you didn't care for the kayak that much.

Let me know if you want help making the plans, remember making plans and doing drawings is what I do for a living. Besides I am going to owe you once you start teaching me to tie.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Daved

How is the pram coming along , any more photos ?????
    Vets , Thanks for your service !!
    http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Daved

How is the pram coming along , any more photos ?????
    Hey , Rob !!

Hope you and the family are having a great Holiday .....

I have done NOTHING to the Pram - I got busy a while back (long story , have a few hours ?) and left Pram in the yard (tarped , of course) .

I'll be back to being Mr. time-on-my-hands in mid-Jan. ........ I hope to get some work done on it then .

You and the Boys gonna do Muskies after ice-out this coming year ????

David