Thread: A week on the Pit River

Default A week on the Pit River

Over the last five days I have been fishing different sections of the Pit River while in the area conducting wild trout surveys for DF&G. The fishing was great for the most part and the trout were easily caught high sticking #16-18 pt's, birds nests and copper johns through the pocket water. The key to fishing success this time of year is to have plenty of weight above your fly so it quickly drops into the pockets and runs. I was using one AAA and one BB which seemed to get me down but not down too far into the rocks. The water temps were in the mid to low 60's for all those who are concerned, but the farther I did go downstream the warmer the water was, obviously. Because of this I stuck to the upper sections of Pit 3 and found fat and happy trout such as these:

The fishing was best during the freak storm that rolled in and dumped rain for half the day, but even during the hot days earlier the trout were found in deep water and shaded pockets. One word of advice is to stay on the water untill it's late, the trout go nuts after 8:30 and some of my biggest pitbows were caught in near dark conditions. Tight lines...

-Notch

Nice fish Jeremy!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Great report! Love the fish pictures!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.