Thread: Sad Hat Creek

Default Sad Hat Creek

Hi all,

Yesterday (7/16) I participated in the Califronia Department of Fish and Game's Wild Trout Project snorkel survey of the wild trout section of Hat Creek. The survey started at the Powerhouse #2 riffle and ended at the Highway 299 bridge.

In my opinion, things were looking pretty grim for Hat Creek rainbows. I will preface my observations by noting that I was one member of a line of 9 snorkelers and thus was only looking at about a 15' wide swath of creek. The other limiting factor relatively was poor visibility. The water looked clear from the surface but was a little turbid underwater. I had about 10' of good visibility.

I don't have a great memory for numbers, but I recall from my data sheet that I saw about 50 small rainbows (0-6"), 30 medium rainbows (6-12"), 15 large rainbows (12-18"), and 2 extra large rainbows (18"+). This was for about 1.5 miles of creek, and I had one of the better scores!

Another preface is the fact that we started the survey below the Powerhouse Riffle, just about where the flat water starts, due to the presence of anglers fishing the riffle. There are usually a bunch of trout loaded in the "bucket" in this riffle. So, we missed some fish. But, c'mon, this is a spring creek with stable water temps and lots of bugs that should be loaded with trout!!

There were few if any weeds between the bottom of the Powerhouse Riffle and Carbon Flats. The weeds didn't actually start until I got about 1/3 of the way into Carbon Flats. This is where I saw the first real signs of life, counting a nice pod of 22 good sized trout. Prior to this point I had only observed two small trout. I saw another decent gathering of trout around the woody debris on the river-right side-channel of Wood-Duck Island.

I was pretty bummed out. Later in the day my partner and I conducted an unofficail snorkel survey down around the barrier weir. Not many trout down there either....

Again, the snorkeling was compromised by the poor visibility, but the creek just looked bad. There are lots of theories floating around about the degradation of Hat: muskrats, wading anglers, sediment from PG&E operations... but I don't think anyone has any conclusive evidence, just pontification.

I would love to hear about the experiences of people who have fished Hat Creek recently, especially those who fish the flat-water. Did you see any fish? Thanks, Matt Johnson.

Matt

It looks like it has really silted in the last time I was up there.

I remeber that back in the 1970s we had to edge wade that part of the stream. It was very deep and now it is very shallow.

I'm not sure how or what would fix it now? Sad........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fished that area of Hat not too long ago. I caught plenty of fish but I do agree that there are problems on Hat Creek, and it is very depressing to me because I grew up fishing the Burney Basin area. I am only 21 years old but even I can see the huge increase in the number of people who make there way not only to the Burney Basin but to almost EVERYWHERE outdoors it seems like. Places like Medicine Lake (up past McCloud) used to be areas that you could go for serenity and maybe have to only see 4 or 5 other people on the water (all fisherman). Now its loaded with dozens upon dozens of fisherman, jet skiers and recreational boaters. I enjoy the fact that more and more people are beginning to love and respect the outdoors (that's probably not so but that is my romantic ideal) but it is doing more damage than good. Hopefully more restrictive laws will begin to be passed to protect these waters. I LOVE the outdoors but I am always willing to stop what I am doing in order to protect nature, hopefully most others will feel and act the same way

A small bit of trivia .......

I'd guess that everyone here has a 'point of reference' - a memory that is the oldest .

Mine is from 1967 , just after my 2nd Birthday - My family was hunting Brush Mt. , and we stopped over at Cassel on Hat . I was hopping around on the dike of the already channelized section of the stream . I recall being disgusted when my Father made me hold some dead Rainbows (fingers in the gills ....) for a photo op . I've looked and looked but cannot find the picture .

I went back there several years ago (1998 ???) . The stream was clearer w/ more weeds ..... but the sky wasn't as blue . The air was not as sweet as I remembered . I can still feel my Mother's hand on my arm .... dragging me away from the creek .

Nothing stays the same .

David

That's a great memory David, unfortunately you are right about nothing staying the same, many times these days it is for the worst. But don't get me wrong about the Burney Basin it is still a gorgeous area and one of my favorite places to be, and I don't think THAT is going to change anytime soon.

I guess Hat Creek is what it is. I don't think things will change for the better anytime soon, but there is awareness of the problems and people are trying to come up with solutions:

http://www.streamwise.com/ProjectInvolvement/Hat.htm

I would love to have fished Hat back in the glory days of the late 1970's. Oh wait, maybe I wouldn't have. I might find the present situation even more depressing. I fished Hat a bunch in the mid to late 1990's but kind of got away from it after 2002. I have a bunch of great memories from that time and still love the creek. I did not catch many trout in the flat water then (those fish are difficult!), but there were good hatches and lots of rises to fish to. I had it so bad for a while that I would occasionally even do bonzai day trips up there from Sacramento! I don't know how I ever stayed awake driving back at dark after the evening hatch.

Nevertheless, there ARE trout in Hat Creek. They just appear to be limited to shrinking habitat. I still think it is just a classy and nice place to go trout fishing in California. Look for the weeds and you will find trout. I would concentrate from Carbon Flats on down. There are probably a few trout above Carbon, but they appeared to be quite scarce. This area seems to be a sucker hang out now. Of course, the PH#2 riffle is always a good bet.

I would still like to hear from others with recent fishing experience on Hat. I have had too many other priorities to get up there myself the last couple years...cheers, Matt.

Matt,
    Thanks for the update on Hat Creek. I have fished Hat since 1978 and seen the beautiful river slip from grace. It is in a sad state of health, in my opion. In the early days you could not step off the edge of the bank below the power house riffle because of the depth. Today, you see anglers wading all the way across the river. Where has all of the silt and gravel come from? Sure, the heavy rains in the mid 80's blew out the lower two islands that used to be at the power house. That added new gravel to the lower river below the riffle. However, I don't believe that it brought all of the siltation that now exists. The only other source is from Baum Lake and the penstock that leads down to the power house. I don't know how you could ever stop this situation. As in all wildlife environments, habitat is the key element. The habitat in Hat Creek is not healthy. About 5 years ago I began to see some "non-trout" in what we call "cut banks" above Carbon Bridge. Each year the numbers of these "trash?" fish have increased. This year after Opening Weekend I walked up to Cut Banks. I noticed a large are that was cleared clean as you would see a spawning bed for salmon. My first reaction was the thought of trout spawning. I was totally shocked to see a hugh mass of non-trout species moving across the bottom like an amoeba. What is the interaction of these non-trout species on trout beds and fingerlings? I was also on the river back in the mid 80's when they brought in the rocks and placed them by helicopter in the lower river. The hope was to bring holding water for trout in that section of the river. What is the state of that project? Has it helped the lower river? I have spent some time in that section over that last 15-20 years since the project and the number of trout seems also to be in decline. Don't even get me started on Fall River.The silt has reached down all the way to Spring Creek bridge and just below. One more high water year and Zug Bug will also be covered. Sorry for the rant, but the Intermountain Region is a big part of my life. We have been part time residents there since 85 and it saddens me to see the fisheries in such poor condition.