Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3wt or 4wt, 5 piece or 7 piece

Default 3wt or 4wt, 5 piece or 7 piece

I am looking into getting a travel rod that I will use on a regular basis for trout in creeks, streams, and rivers. I want something I can keep in my car all the time. My first question is directed to a 5 piece or 7 piece, are their benefits with either one, I think the 5 piece would be better due to the fact it seems like it would be not as stiff and a little more forgiving on the fish.

As for the weight, I like light tackle, but will I run into trouble if I get a nice double digit (10"+) trout on a 3wt, or will I be ok.

I am still new to the fly fishing world so please understand if my questions are basic.

Thanks for any and all helpful information.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Scott, the more pieces or sections in a rod generally the more stiff it will be since rod connections do not flex as well as a single piece of rod blank. Redington has a nice 5pc 3wt, I think that it's 7'. As far as the weight of the rod and the size of the trout, you will be able to land a trout much larger than 10" but if you think that you'll be catching and average of fish around 15" or more you might want to get a 4wt.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

As Adam said, a 4wt is probably a bit more versatile, buy you can certainly land a 10" fish on a 3. The Redington rods are pretty nice for the $$$ and even a 4 piece should be sufficient for keeping stashed in the trunk. Check out the TFO's too.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

So I have decieded on a 4wt, 4 piece Lefty Kreh Professional. Now I need help on length decision, it comes in 8', 8'6", and 9'. This will mainly be used in areas like Silver Fork and other types of stream like that. What advantages or disadvantages are there in the lengths.

Once again thank you for any assistance.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I would look at 4, 5, 6 and 7 piece rods.

4 piece and 6 piece can be taken in half for transport.

4 piece is the norm and you will have much more selection there.

In many cases you might have to go up at least one line size to get a lighter multi-piece rod to load up and cast well. If you want a 4 weight outfit you will probably want to look at 3 weight rods.

If you are in or near Sacramento you can come into our shop 7 days a week and get some real professional help. You can see and cast more fly rods than in 95% of the other fly shops. This is the best way to purchase a fly rod.

A 9' #5 line 4 piece rod is the industry standard for a trout rod. that is a starting place.

An 8'6" #4 line rod would be something on the lighter side but still practical.

A low end 4 weight rod will probably cast better with a 5 weight line.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I fish the 8'8" 4wt G-series Scott rod and I find the length to be fine for small to medium sized waters, I rarely wish for a longer rod on larger rivers but there are times when a longer rod would help mend greater lengths of line after a long cast, plus a longer rod makes casting further much easier for most casters. If you fish smaller to medium water with this rod try the 8'6" rod to make trekking through the foliage much easier.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

IMO, 8' is a great length for a 4 weight rod. I have an 8' 4 weight 4 piece from Chico Fly Shop and it is an amazing rod for stream trout. It can cast plenty far if you are so lucky to have an open area, with the right line (I primarily use a double taper 4 weight) you can roll cast with great ease, and it is a good length for fishing tight, brushy quarters where you have to use small roll casts, drop casts, sling casts, etc. As far as power is concerned I have pulled hard fighting, nice bass (2 lbs-ish) out of weedy ponds with it and as far as finesse goes I have had dozens of small, wild trout (around 6") put up very worthy fights on the rod. That's my two cents.

Go with the 8' 6". For small to med rivers and streams, you likely will never miss any added length.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Go with Bill's suggestion. Go cast some rods.

Plus, decide what you really will use it for: a 4 piece is fine for almost all uses, including back packing,
    since a 4 piece 8 ft rod in the tube its around 24-26"long while a 6 piece 8 ft rod is 16-18" in the tube-- 8" is not a big difference. But 4 piece rods are cheaper, more available and better action.

The 4 and 6 piece rods do have the advantage that you have 2 fairly equal pieces to transport, while in the 5 and 7 piece you have one half about 14- 19" longer than the other-- a potential for breakage.

And Bill is right on target with his point about having to go 1 wt lighter to get your effective wt. I got a 3wt 6 piece as a gift and it is a 4wt, could not load it up with 3wt line. (if I could I would have taken it back for a 4 piece)

Scott, the rod you have right now is all you'll really need for a while. Keep it behind the seat of your truck and use it, use it, use it. When you fish with someone cast their rod a few times on the water and compare it to yours. You first need to work out your own casting style, then figure out how different rods fit in to your own preferences. An 8 wt in a parking lot will cast a country mile but that won't help at all on a small trout stream. My first rod cost 15 bucks at Big 5 and was a 7wt that looking back probably could have thrown a 9wt line. Stiff as a board. Still, it caught hundreds if not thousands of trout before it went off to great rod graveyard in the sky(via a car door slam). I would say get your fundamentals down pat, then see what rods will do what you need them to do. It all takes a little while, don't rush it. Ed P.S. After I broke that rod I went ahead and snapped it off at the next guide down and caught trout the rest of the evening.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.