Thread: Need Desolation Wilderness Info

Default Need Desolation Wilderness Info

I'm going hiking and fishing in Desolation Wilderness for 4 days next week. Want to hit the Rubicon in Rockbound Valley. Anyone have info on the area, especially the stream? How large is Rubicon R. between reservoir and Clyde Lake? Any info is appreciated.

I haven't actually been up to that part of the Desolation yet, but from what I've heard from others the Rubicon coming out of Clyde is a smallish sized creek with goldens that get washed down from Clyde and golden-rainbow hybrids that reach 12" or so.

Looking forward to your report when you get back!

I was in there in the early season last year. Too early. Clyde was still half frozen and the Rube was mostly under the snow. It is a small stream up that far. Despite what the guidebooks say there is a very do-able route in that will save a days hiking. I believe it took about 3.5 hours total. Take the Wrights Lake trailhead up to Island Lake. The lake sits in a bowl, climb up and contour around the left side(facing the headwall) then an easy drop into the Valley just below Clyde. If you can read a topo the route is fairly obvious. I was in and out on a day trip, be a bit harder with a full pack but if I was going again I'd still use that route. You won't believe the view from atop the headwall. Let us know what you find. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl
    ...Despite what the guidebooks say there is a very do-able route in that will save a days hiking. I believe it took about 3.5 hours total. Take the Wrights Lake trailhead up to Island Lake. The lake sits in a bowl, climb up and contour around the left side(facing the headwall) then an easy drop into the Valley just below Clyde. If you can read a topo the route is fairly obvious. I was in and out on a day trip...
    I have been curious about this area for a while now, too. My Father-in-law swears it can't be done as a day hike. Where might he be going wrong route-wise?
    Cheers,
    Spike

Sounds kind of like he looked at it but didn't actually do any climbing. It looks bad from lake level but a good map and a little steep walking(never had to use hands) is about all it took. The top of that headwall has one of the better views of the area, and no people to clutter it up. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.