Thread: Salmon River in CA

Default Salmon River in CA

Has anyone ever fished the Salmon River in CA (Highway 96)?
    Less talk, more rock.

I've floated it . From what I hear water temps are high and the steelhead don't run up it very far. You might give Herb Burton a call at the Trinity fly shop or Mike at Eureka fly shop a call.

I have an old book on flyfishing steelhead in CA from the 70's I think it talks about the cal salmon in it. When I get back home from my current business trip I'll look into it some more for you.

Best,

-John

I drove by there once at least 10 yrs ago, on the way to Wooley Creek which runs into it, which is supposed to have (or did at that time) the only summer run steelhead in CA.

I caught a bunch of small trout, probably smolts, on Wooley Creek. Almost nobody ever fishes it because of the distance and treacherous rock-climbing involved.

Pretty area.

Default Summer Run Stelhead....????

Hmmmm,.... Wooley Creek was supposed to the only river in Calfironia with summer run fish in it 10 years ago....

Since Wooley Creek is a trib to the Salmon River and it, in turn, is a trib of the Klamath River it seems there would be summer runs there. Also, I could've sworn I heard of 'em in other waters.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of this than I can expand on this....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Not sure about the Salmon river or its tributaries but there are summers runs in many California rivers such as Klamath and Trinity. While many people fish for them into the fall and winter they are still summer run steelhead, that are entering the rivers right now.
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

If you want to fish it for trout , you would be better off going to the head waters off the Trinity drainage above the lake. You can get there by the Coffee Creek road. There is a camp ground and trail head into the wilderness area. Small fish but pristine area.

Wooley Creek enters the river only a few miles from the Klamath. Best to fish this in the fall after the rains come. I have caught shad in the lower Salmon on low water years when the fish could not make it over Ishi Pishi Falls
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

My steelhead book says there are steelies in the Salmon year-round. Don't know about the regs.

There is a bit of information about true summer runs in CA on the web if you hunt and peck around. Most of the fisheries remained closed though as the runs are seriously depleted. The Eel once had a tremendous summer run but it has been nearly wiped out.