Thread: Snoqualmie River, WA

Default Snoqualmie River, WA

Well, I have come to accept that Western Washington is not a trout mecca by any stretch. But, since I do love small stream fishing for wild trout on dries, the forks of the Snoqualmie have been a blast the past few evenings. Think 20+ fish nights with the only reason for chaginging flies is to replace the beat up stimi that the hungry little cutts have hammered! Its a beautiful place only 40 minutes from downtown. I'm off to buy a 3 weight tomorrow! Enjoy!

“To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Great stuff , Steelie !!

I love the third shot ......

David

The first picture was very nice, enjoy the 3wt!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Great report/pictures! What a beautiful river. That is some pretty good sized water! Theres got to be some larger fish in it. I would try swinging a black wooly bugger deep thru the deeper runs.

Very cool!

Jay

Thanks guys.

Jay, Yes the flows are a bit high right now. 2-3 weeks should be primetime. I believe downstream there are some fish in the 10-12" range. I actually did catch one that was probably about 9", but he bolted as I was getting my camera. Too shy I guess. On the Mid Fork, I like to fish up high, the scenery is better and it gets you away from the swimmers. I may try a bugger through that run in the 4th photo. There are ALOT of fish in there!

Off on a guided float of the Yakima next week. Hopefully some pix of big WA trout then!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Sweet pics Steelie! Try casting a Winston BIIx 8'6" 3wt tomorrow and let me know what you think

I suggest trying the Scott G2 3wt as well as the Winston. The G2's feel better than many other trout rods IMHO.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Ooo, good call Adam. G2 is a sweet stick

I appreciate the suggestions guys. I have cast both of those and they are indeed nice rods. James - try the BIIt, very nice 'dry fly' action!

Unfortunately, this is going to more of a budget purchase. That's what happens when you have kids. I am pretty much planning on a Sage Launch (yes I know, the blank's from China, but it's assembled here on Bainbridge). A friend just got one and I really like the way it casts. We'll see if anything else catches my eye at the fly shop, but that's the way I'm leaning. Any comments are welcome!

Looks very pristine, thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........