Thread: Late Little Truckee report

Default Late Little Truckee report

I fished the Little Truckee the Friday before the 4th and caught 6 bows all on stimulators. They ranged from 14-17 inches. I also brought my fishing dog along to inspect my catch. I hope they bump the flows up a little, but I doubt that they will.

Nice fishy

Flows definitely need a bump up...

That's a beautiful fish--nice little hook jaw.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Nice report looks like a fun time. I'm wondering though, bump up with what water? We're gonna start running out of water if they bump up the flows. Low flows on the little T mid-summer are a fact of life, esp. in low-water years like this year. Luckily what water is left is cold so the fish do fine, they just get ultra spooky.

Well, I went the to LT one week and the flows were high to the point of being unfishable then the next week it is down to very low flows. It would be nice if they could handle the flows with more of a gradual adjustment and they don't need all that water in Stampede anyway

Well we'll see just how much water they need in Stampede if we have another dry year like this one next year, like we tend to have. Come next July we really could need that water bad.

As far as big jumps lately, flows have just been gradually ramping down over the past 30 days like they always do, with flows between 200 and 100 cfs. 100 cfs is actually a nice summer flow, when you get down to 30 cfs that's really getting low, but fish can still be had.

Sure, some times in the Spring the flow will jump from 200 to 1000 in a day or two but usually it's because the water is coming down and they need to get rid of it. Also, keep in mind the TROA also dictates flows so the watermaster has to do some juggling and can't always keep the flows steady.

Thanks again for the report.

Default Cui-ui

When an extra large run of cui-ui are due to spawn in the spring, you will see flows that would seem wrecklessly high. All that water in the lake is there entireley for the cui-ui and cutthroat trout fishery at Pyramid-- although they seem to trade it around alot when the droughts are on. Stampede was originally dedstined to be a municipal/industrial reservoir. The tribe fought it for years during construction of the dam, and Senator Paul Laxalt fought the tribe and lost-- and thanks to the tribe, we have plenty of water for fish in the desert. An interesting thing I learned is that 100% of the Truckee's water below Sparks in summer is effluent-- high-quality stuff, according to the hatchery manager I spoke with in Nixon.

I luv those ceremonial suckers!

Tracy
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.