Thread: Truckee River

Default Truckee River

Unfortunately this will be my first trip out in since my first middle fork american experience over a month ago, that started a mega thread (more about property rights than fishing although they are a tangled related mess), but I digress.

I'm going to try and fish the Truckee on Sunday. I have only fished this river once and it was year ago. I fished with my dad's buddies down by Floriston.

Anyone have ideas on these subjects:

Where to go I liked that area down by Floriston but it sounds like different times of year could determine the better spots.

Is it worth it after this heat wave, I figured going up (elevation) would be better.

Time of day. I am going to try and make it an all day deal. Obviously evening will be good what about morning (how early) and other parts of the day?

Fly's- I had a hell of a time last year even though there were good hatches coming off. Any ideas? Time's of day? I ususally fish a dry with a dropper -good idea/bad idea?

If I can't get into Kiene's before I leave (I live up in Lincoln) should I swing into Cutter's Hardware (I think that's what it's called in Truckee)?

I promise pictures (even if it's just of the river and my labs) and the best report I can give for any and all advice.

I will obviously give a report no matter of the advice given.

Thanks in advance,
    dryflychico (aka Josh)

Default Truckee

Hey Josh.

I hit the Truckee on Friday with a Buddy. The water was pretty good from about 9:00 to Noon. After that, it just got too warm. The water hit over 68F and the fish started napping. I hooked into two larger rainbows (about 18"), but they both broke off. My buddy knocked one off while trying to net it for me and the other ran under a boulder and snapped it. Oh well. It still was fun! He had a couple of strikes, but missed the hook-set.

Everything was on yellow stimulators #8 with a bead-head prince nymph dropper #16. We fished UPSTREAM from the Glenshire bridge turnout.

We saw very few bugs (a few sporadic caddis flies) and no risers, but they came up for the Stimis! We couldn't stay for the dusk, but had NOTHING from Noon to 4 PM.

Good luck!

- Rick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I am haunted by waters." ~ Norman Maclean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick, you are dead-on with the report. I was there Friday as well with a buddy and it was slow for us. Few landed on Schafer 3D, fox poopah, and micro mays. I got a take on a e/c caddis but couldn't stick the hook on a downstream drift.

Water was ridiculously warm and the swimmers were out in full force. Some kayakers drifted by within 15ft of me and I had to bite my lip from cussing them out.

Seems the guys in the morning did better. Floriston might have been a better bet...

The wind was howling out there on the Truckee Friday afternoon. But then again, that's always my excuse when the fishing's slow. It couldn't possibly be me, right?
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."