Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pit River Fishing next week. Any advice?

Default Pit River Fishing next week. Any advice?

I'm going to fish the Pit River next week for a couple of days. One of the rivers on my "hit list" for this year.

Apparently not as popular as others due to being boulder-laden, slippery, tough wading and all that, but sounds like my kind of stream. Any personal, first hand experiences that could make my trip more enjoyable than just showing up and heading out blind would be appreciated.

A nice campground, stretches of river not to be passed up, areas to avoid, other stops I should make/things I should see or visit while in the area, etc.

Of course, if you want to go with me or meet up there and fish together, feel free. I'll be heading up late next week, no solid plans on departure/arrival as yet.

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Bring lots of water. And look out for stinging nettle, it's much more likely to get you than a rattlesnake.

The fishing is usually pretty easy dropper-dry with something bushy around a #12 for the dry and a shiny little nymph about #12 or #14 24" below the dry will get the job done.

Ron,

This is my favorite trout stream, anywhere.

I just heard from a real expert fly fisher, Dr Jack Palmer of Davis, CA that the Pit River was fishing very well right now.

I would use #14 dark nymphs like the Shafer 3D, the Bead Head Prince with rubber legs or the Black AP on 3x or 4x fluorocarbon tippet. Most use two flies.

You want to fish in the fast water, under the white bubbles/foam where there is the most oxygen.

We to drive up to Redding and take Hwy 299 east to the Big Bend turn off, on the left. After a windy trip down hill you will come to the little town of Big Bend and the Big Bend Store.

If you go back a few hundred yards you will see a road to the left that goes upstream past the PSEA camp and the Henderson Spring Ranch.

We like to drive into the "Deep Creek camp ground" if the road is open.

You can make camp there and fish up and down the river for miles.

Some wade wet in the Pit.

There are really big Rainbow trout at the top over every big lakey pool.

http://www.kiene.com/reports/streams/pitriver.shtm
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bring a wading stick.

There are numerous established rough campsites along the river. Just pick one that is next to a good spot on the river.

Bring a helmet.

Seriously though, take it slow with the wading. I usually fish it in the warmer months so what I do immediately after arriving is to take an intentional swim. I know I am going to fall in at least 3 times more, so I figure I might as well just get it over with.

I guess you could consider it a "sacrifice" to the pit fishing gods.

Anyhow, I also find that those waterproof fly boxes are a big help on the pit as well because of the aforementioned swimming.

Pit is known for its awesome pocket water tight line nymphing and for good reason. However, don't be afraid to try a dry, usually to the far banks underneath the vegetation will get strikes. Small black nymphs worked best for me, AP's, black copper johns, black micro mayflies, gordon princes. Size 16 probably my fav.

Dries...... stimmy's

Have fun!!

Gentlemen,

Awesome... thanks for all the advice. I feel I'm prepared.

I think I'll be heading up the 4th, which is
    Wednesday, and fish through Friday, possibly Saturday morning, if anyone wants to meet up and camp/fish together. Otherwise, I'll plan on making friends with those already there!

Guess I better break down and add that wading stick to my checklist of items to bring for this river. I'm really resisiting. It feels just like the moment when you realize you need to wear reading glasses!

Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

The wading is challenging at time but not as difficult as some people make it out to be. If you can catch your balance relatively well you'll be fine. Like most people have said bring a wading stick, not that you'll have to used it all the time but you will definitely need to used it. I found that if I shuffled and dragged me feet over and around the boulders that I could wade efficiently without the use of my wading stick, most of the time.

I have not experienced good dry fly fishing but I have heard of many reports of good dry fly fishing. Dark nymphs, like Bill suggested, have worked well for me. I did well with a black copper john type of fly that I tied myself.

Good luck with your trip.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

The main reason I fish dropper-dry up there isn't because I'm trying to catch fish on dries, it's that long-line nymphing with an indicator is a sure fire way to lose lots and lots of flies! I find the fish agressive and since they'll move for stuff, I lose a lot less flies with a dropper-dry rig and thus spend a lot more time fishing, which means more fish.

By the way did I mention it's hot down there? Like I said bring tons of water. Like a gallon a day. And find some shade (preferably w/ out poison oak or rattlesnakes) and take a nap during the middle of the day, the mornings and evenings are the most pleasant time of day to be on the water.

Have fun,

-John

More great advice, fellas. Thanks!

Just checked the weather for later this week and it's going to be over 100 degrees in Burney for a couple of days. I planned on fishing the Pit River later this week but, ummm, shouldn't it be about a million degrees in Pit River Canyon if it's over 100 degrees in Burney? BTW, Redding will be a balmy 106, 113, 110, 107, 106 during the week. But I hear it's a dry heat.

I hate... let me repeat... I hate the heat! Can't stand it. But it may be that the short, intense heat wave brings on a hatch and provides for the best fishing of the year? In that case, maybe I could tolerate a bit of heat.

A song comes to mind... "Should I stay or should I go now?"

Any thoughts/advice from past experiences?

Ron