Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Truckee (hook barbs)

Rick, I agree about setting the hook being easier with a barbless fly. I always try to push mine down too but I have to admit only about two thirds of the ones on my vest drier that day were barbless. After all, they were rising. Lucky I didn't get a ticket. Paul

Below are the regulations on the little Truckee that I cut and pasted from the California Code of Regulations Website.

I found it interesting that when I was a volunteer in an electro study on the LT a few years ago in October after surveying three locations we measured a lot of rainbows and browns over 14", and a lot of trout from a few inches up to eight and nine inches but no fish in the ten to fourteen inch range. (I don't know if this is typical situation towards the end of a two fish 14" limit season)

I asked the head of inland fisheries about this and he said it was something to consider when it came time to propose reg changes. I often wondered how the trout were able to grow past the eight inch range to become breeders if the mid size fish are being removed from a fishery. Having said this I have caught and released mid sized fish on the LT in the spring and summer.

(103.5) Little Truckee River (Sierra and Nevada
    cos.) from Stampede Reservoir Dam downstream
    to Boca Reservoir.

Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
    Maximum size limit: 14 inches total length. Only
    artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.
    Limit 2

Nov.16 through the Friday preceding the
    last Saturday in Apr. Only artificial lures with
    barbless hooks may be used.
    Limit 0

2 fish over 14" last Satuday in April through Novemeber 15th,
    not quite. the size restriction is a 14 inch maximum size (e.g. fish 14" and smaller). yes, i did errorneously write "c&r" early in my previous post (before getting into size and count restrictions), but only because that's how i fish it. my mistake for not being clear.

Now, I'm not saying to go out and bonk a bunch of fish on the Little T, I'm just saying watch what you read about regulations on BB's some times it is misleading.
    yes, it sure is

Like I said don't believe what you see on the internet! Sorry about the error, I was typing fast. I think most folks fish c&r but the point is I see people discussing regs online all the time and a lot of the time folks get wrong. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If anyone has questions about regs ASK THE SOURCE! DF&G get paid to answer peoples questions. Get ahold of the warden via DF&G and they will give you the straight scoop. Don't trust the folks on the internet to have the right answer, even if they read the regs right they might transpose things in typing like I did...I seriously thought I had written under instead of over (I fixed the typo).