Thread: Saltwater Flies....

Default Saltwater Flies....

I've been tying a lot of saltwater flies, recently, for fishing in Baja. Lotsa Sea Habit type patterns; some with trailer hooks and approximately 10" long. My hands are now trashed from catching my fingertips on the trailer hook while tying in and combing wing materials....

I'm beginning to see flies in my sleep.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey , D -

Take a wine cork , razor some bits off , and cover that nasty hook point .

The cork used in a Bushmills top works as well .... in case you don't drink wine .

David

Default Stinger Hooks

Darian
    I like to use TYGer wire loops for my stingers. After the fly is complete I put the hook in place by pinching the loop through the eye and over the hook point. They still have a habit of biting you. Also Lee Haskins has a box that works great for keeping double hooks tame.
    Later, Steve

Default Tandem Hooks....

OK, I can report that my tandem hooks worked but not with a fly. I used one of the set-ups with a large Tuna Clone and caught a 28 pound Dorado while (gasp ) trolling. The hooks were Owner AKI, size 6/0 and were tethered together, short, with a loop in the "Ray Beadle" style (see article on Blanton's website). The wire loop was covered with Guderod, 50 lb braid and sealed with Pliobond for flexibilty.

Makes a very strong connection and provides enough flexibility to enhance hooking action.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown