Thread: 13th delta

Default 13th delta

I went out with Jerry from Lodi on Wednesday (half day) and had a great time. I landed 7 or 8 (biggest was 3#11oz) with Jerry's poppers and missed at least a half a dozen more. Very hot but no wind to speak of. Water temp was 74deg. around 5pm Nice boat great guide Highly recommended. Paul

Thanks Paul, actually, if we count the fish smaller than the fly, you landed nine and LDRed a couple as well as the missed grabs by the fish. Most of the misses were by the fish just not finding the popper, not your hook set.

Your biggest fish made a great grab of the fly up against the tulles. Here's a picture of it.

I went out last night after my dental appointment. The breeze was non-existant, the water like a mirror. Even with the current running the water appeared like glass.

Fishing was even tougher than the night before. I had a lot of fish swirl at the flies but refuse the take. Tonight I'll try a whole bunch more combinations, flies and presentations including the greased woolly bugger which worked great last summer. I'll try to post results.

Thanks again for the nice words.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

SullyTM Guest

Nice report Paul...Captain Jerry knows where the action is!

Later...

What's the story behind the blood on his right hand?

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Katz, the fish took the fly very deep and it nicked a lower gill raker. I didn't notice the blood when I took the picture. I used to be concerned about small nicks like this until I talked to a fisheries biologist who told me that a small amount of bleeding from the gills is certainly NOT fatal as I had thought. In fact, biologists regularly take gill samples for certain testing and doing so results in some obvious bleeding. He said he had found many fish with gill rakers totally torn off at one end or the other and still leading healthy lives. Apparently fish blood coagulates very quickly when in water so while there is a need for concern, we shouldn't presume that any bleeding at all is a fatal blow. Other than what you see on Paul's hand and about three drops on the deck, that was the extent of the bleeding so, I certainly hope the biologist is right and this fish is still healthy and happy, with a slightly sore tongue.

As far as fishing tonight, the wind came up and the fishing was much better with over a dozen fish landed, the biggest almost three pounds.

I'm pulling my boat out tomorrow to get ready for the trip south on the 21st. Bye bye delta until mid July at the earliest.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

All fishing (yup .... even catch and release) is blood sport .

Last weekend , my last fish on Saturday and first fish Sunday both took the fly deep . The first one was a goner , the second might have made it . I was more than a little upset , but after thinking things through (what I could have done differently) I had to come to terms with that fact - most make it , but some do not .

Most fish have a better chance of surviving even if bleeding a little .... than a fish whacked on the head and stuck in the ice chest . Doesn't make me feel any better , though ......

David

David, I've caught ocean fish with huge scars and portions of their body missing. It was obvious that these fish had sustained some serious injuries from other fish, sharks, etc., yet they survived, healed and were actively feeding.

If handled properly out of water and properly released, I think we'd be surprised how many fish we presume to be fatally wounded survive. I'd guess that improper handling is probably responsible for more fish deaths than minor wounds.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Nice fish! Sounds like you've been doing very well out there.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.