Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating the upper Sac?

Default Floating the upper Sac?

Has anyone tried to float the upper Sac?

I have a friend who wants to try it this week (with his equipment). I know the flows are down.

Thanks for any info.

Yes, I have floated the Upper Sac. It's way too low right now to safely float any distance. You're gonna be "walking" the raft through a lot of rocky stretches. In fact, you'll be doing more walking than rowing! You also better be able to handle Class III whitewater when there is enough flow to safely float it.

People do float the Upper Sac when it is high in the Spring but right now it's down so you don't need a boat.

You can wade it nicely now and drive to much of it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Upper Float

Was thinking about doing this next Saturday since flows are around 650 seem like this might be doable. If anyone has any ideas or helpful hints on put in takes outs I would greatly appreciate it.

Pm's welcome and preferred.

Thanks

650 is reportedly doable but I wouldn't. We used to run it in the spring at much higher flows. Fun consistent white water with a few technical spots. If you're a white water person not a huge deal save for Triple Drop. If you're not I'd stick to wading. Beta: http://www.cacreeks.com/sac-dun.htm

Saw a half-dozen six man rafts go by when I was out there in high flows and snow a couple of months ago. Definitely caught me by surprise.

Default No reason to float it.

Like BK says, you can drive to most of it, and that which you can't you can walk to. Never more than a 20-30 min walk between driveable access points.

Floating usually happens in the spring with high run-off, and usually down low too.

Been a decade since I've seen people other than recreational tubers, etc... floating the river. Have seen the occasional kayak, but am surprised to hear about six-man rafts!

P.S. This time of year, floaters shouldn't be surprised to get the "Skank-Eye" from some waders, as many would consider drifting such a small accessable river to be in poor form. Just sayin'...

JGB

Default Although, I have now picked up chatter...

about framed rafts on the river.

JGB

There is a guide I see float the upper sac in the summer with a raft. If I can remember the name of the outfit I'll post it. I've seen him take out at dog creek but don't know where he put in at. I've also seen him put in at dog creek and take out at the lake.

Jack Trout used to float it, it didn't work out so well from what I heard.