Thread: Waders for kids (3 and 5 year olds) - Advice wanted

Default Waders for kids (3 and 5 year olds) - Advice wanted

Hey there,

Anyone have advice or recommendations on waders for little kids? My kids are 3 and 5 and I'm trying to get them interested in fishing. They have rods, but I'd like to get them some waders too. I've seen waders from Oakiwear and Caddis that look like they're available in pretty small kid sizes. Are there other good, inexpensive brands I should look at? Inexpensive is key since they're not going to grow out of them long before wearing them out.

If anyone has kids waders that their kids have grown out of and would pass on to me, please let me know too!

Maybe Kiene's could start a kids wader program where you rent them for the season and send them back afterwards?

Anyway, thanks for thoughts/ideas.

Mike

Reddington has youth waders for a reasonable price. I'm not sure about sizing for a 3 yo but the smallest size may work for the 5 yo. I use these waders for my kid clients. Best of luck!

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Thanks Jay, I'll check those out. Probably smarter to just get a pair for the 5 yr old anyway and the little guy can grow into them at some point. I appreciate the tip.

Mike

Cabelas, Three Forks. They are boot foot waders. One less thing to buy, and have them grow out of in a year.

briansII

Try Dan Bailey's for kids waders. Please be cautious with kids in waders. Joey fell in about a foot of water on the usac sweetbriar when he was 8 and could not get up. That was after I told him to sit on rock and don't move.

Good luck,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Jet, thanks for the warning and advice! I'm very nervous/concerned about the water and kids, which is why I want them to get used to it - with me there of course. And to respect it!

Brian, the Cabela's waders look like a great deal. I'm sold on the bootfoot wader idea for kids for simplicity too. I can barely remember my own boots! Plus the Cabela's price is really good - on sale for $55 right now. That's hard to pass up.

Thanks for all the thoughts,
    Mike