Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Truckee River has been good

hi matt,

maybe we did see each other. i don't recall seeing a group of three people though. there were several loners, and a few larger groups hanging out by their cars.

we were on the water by 10am thinking that the fishing would be better after the water has had a chance to warm up. around 2pm, we switched over to the little truckee to see if we'd do better. earlier i wrote that we only fished it for an hour, but my friend insists that we fished it for over 2 hours. it certainly felt like an hour, but i guess time flies when casting flies... we fished the canyon section and hiked up quite a ways into the meadow section. there were certainly far less bugs on the little truckee, but perhaps it was the time of day we were there. i guess around 4pm we went back down to the truckee, since conditions seemed a bit better down there.

the only fish i saw that surfaced came up very gently. my friend also told me that he did see a couple of fish rising on the truckee around noon (i didn't know about this until today).

we left the water at about 8pm, too discouraged to stay until dark.

the truckee can be a challenging river to fish, but as i've said, i haven't been skunked on that river for many years. but then again, i can't remember fishing it this early in the season in recent years. or maybe we were simply cursed

i'll try again in a few weeks...

Default re: truckee

I was in Truckee from Friday to Tuesday. Got skunked below boca on Saturday, didn't see a bug on the water. Sunday we moved up above Glenshire and there were a lot of bugs on the water and some rising fish. Was a light colored mayfly that was hatching on the surface - you could see the nymphal shuck trailing behind them. I used a PMD pattern because it was the closest thing I had and the fish didn't seem to mind. I had only 3 fish in about 4 hours of fishing, but all were 16" or bigger. One on a dry and two on a nymph. Didn't fish Monday but yesterday I was out for about 3 hours and it was the same thing. Lot's of pale mayflies and a few risers. It the fish were rising I could get a strike with a well drifted fly. Caught a nice fish on a cripple pattern and another on a nymph. Not big numbers for the weekend, but certainly the highest avg size fish I've had there.

Sunday we moved up above Glenshire and there were a lot of bugs on the water and some rising fish.
    just curious... what time of day did you fish there on sunday?

I fished there from 7:30 until 2. Lots of mayflies starting at about 10am

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Sunday we moved up above Glenshire and there were a lot of bugs on the water and some rising fish.
    just curious... what time of day did you fish there on sunday?
    I'd guess that we got on the water sometime around 10am and off by 2. We saw quite a few people. You weren't the guys fishing downstream were ya?

One of our Reps, Darin Elmore, who lives in Truckee said the Truckee River was fishing good now.

That doesn't mean every day, all day long for everyone though but it has been good at time for some.

I don't think it an easy river to figure out though because there is so much food in it.

It is a rich river, like the East Walker, with mayflies, stone flies, caddis, terrestrials, small fish and crayfish.

It supports some really big wild trout and it is close to Sacramento and the Bay Area.

Right now I would go fish the Upper Sac, lower McCloud and Pit Rivers for better action for most though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    I'd guess that we got on the water sometime around 10am and off by 2. We saw quite a few people. You weren't the guys fishing downstream were ya?
    downstream of the bridge? in the private section? nope, that wasn't us. we were along glenshire road in the second pullout (i believe there are 3 pullouts along glenshire rd), and we fished our way upstream between around 10am to 2pm. we drove down glenshire and saw lots of cars and people in the parking area at the bridge, so we continued on to the little truckee.

i'm tempted to give it another shot this weekend to redeem myself, but think it might be a better idea to go to the upper sac instead and save my redemption for another date.

thanks for the info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by anon
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD
    downstream of the bridge? in the private section? nope, that wasn't us. we were along glenshire road in the second pullout (i believe there are 3 pullouts along glenshire rd), and we fished our way upstream between around 10am to 2pm. we drove down glenshire and saw lots of cars and people in the parking area at the bridge, so we continued on to the little truckee.

i'm tempted to give it another shot this weekend to redeem myself, but think it might be a better idea to go to the upper sac instead and save my redemption for another date.

thanks for the info everyone.
    No, above the bridge. There were three guys working downstream instead of up. Kinda screwed up the whole rythmn. You were probably upstream of us and I don't recall seeing anyone but the downstreamers when I walked back to the car.

Truckee is good. See my post in other thread.

daytripped up to the truckee on monday, got on the water around 4:30 pm, bugs were everywhere and many kinds, fished around the hirschdale bridge for a few hours with gr. drake nymphs, PTs, and streamers, no luck, moved up to the confluence with the little truckee and fished there for a few hours abit downstream from the tunnel, didnt see risers until 8 o'clock, missed a few strikes and on last cast of the night hooked into a good 18 inch rainbow on a #12 yellow stimulator, here's a pic, not that great since it was landed after 9 pm and the flash went off and i couldnt really see what i was taking a pic of

hey, careful man, there's a beverage here