Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy Hopper Pattern

Default Easy Hopper Pattern

Hey Guys
    I was wondering if anyone had an easy hopper pattern that they would like to share. I have tyed one "Dave's Hopper". It was also my first time spinning deer hair, and it didnt turn out as well as I had hoped. So, I was hoping one of you guys might have another pattern for me to try out.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Default Nice Job!!!

Matt-That will catch just as many as the one Dave ties.
    One easy way to make it look a little more like the orginal is to stack
    the first bunch of deer hair and have the tips of the hair extending to the
    hook point. For the first time you are doing great. Keep it up.
    Steve

I use a Raineys body and rubber legs, then spin a hair head.Its faster than palmering hackle and dealing with pheasant tail legs. Make sure not to cut the rubber legs while trimming the hair. Same fly can be used for stones or October caddis with a little color variation. Your fly will definatley catch fish. The Yuba used to have great hopper fishing.

Default Hoppers....

Matt,.... in spinning deer hair, practice makes perfect. I mean, practice, practice, practice. You need a tool (commercial or homemade) that will help you pack the hair tightly. Then, use a razor blade (double edge, broken in half or single edge) to do your trimming. Make sure to use sharp blade.

In the meantime, as Steve said, your fly will still catch fish.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Matt, don't give up on the deer hair! It's a handy tying skill to develop and you'll get better rapidly with practice. I've definitely seen a lot worse for a first time effort.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks guys. To some degree I knew what I was doing wrong. Since it was my first time tying this pattern, I had a lot of excess material under my thread. As a result I was having a hard time to get the deer hair to spin all the way around. I also didnt have a razor blade and tried to trim the hair with scissors. I will try it again.

Hey Mike
    I agree its a good skill to learn. That's why I tried in the first place. I need to get my hands on some more deer hair. I really like to fish a spun deer hair yellow sally pattern and I want to try that pattern soon.

What other hopper patterns do you guys use?

Matt

How about a para hopper? No spinning of hair required.

MN

Matt, keep in mind that, in addition to "spinning" deer hair, you can also "stack" it. No question, it is much easier to spin deer hair on a bare hook. For those occasions, though, when I need to build up packed deer hair on top of other materials that might make it difficult to spin the hair, I prefer to stack it instead. You can even achieve a really dense hopper head by stacking alone if that's what you're shooting for.

To stack hair, all you do is place the bundle of hair in place on the hook and wrap tight thread wraps around the middle of the bundle to flare the hair, all the while maintaining a hold on the hair so it doesn't move around the hook. Use a fairly thick bundle of hair but keep in mind you can also stack hair on top of other stacked hair (or spun hair) to achieve more density.

For your hopper, try stacking a couple of bundles in place on top of the hook and another bundle in place underneath the hook. You can also stack a bundle on each side of the hook as well, if you prefer. Make certain (this is important!) all your thread wraps for these bundles are in precisely the same place. Once you've cinched all these hair bundles tightly in place with a couple more thread wraps, work the thread to the front, give it 3 or 4 thread wraps in front of the bundles and a couple of half-hitches, then pack the hair and thread wraps back as tightly as you can with your finger tips or a packing tool and repeat the whole process until you get to the hook eye where you can tie it all off with a whip finish. You should end up with a pretty tightly packed head.

By way of example, here's a fly I tied entirely by stacking deer hair (aside from the tail of course ). There is no "spun" deer hair on this fly, only "stacked":

Try it, it may work out better for you (although you should continue to practice spinning deer hair as well).
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

There are tons of simple hopper patterns out there, and while I agree with everyone who has said that practice makes perfect, I've always thought Dave's Hopper to be just a bit more work than it is worth. The Chernobyl Ant is probably the easiest hopper pattern out there and there are a bunch of other foam hoppers I like that you might consider, e.g.:

http://www.gbflycasters.org/fly%20ty...Klodhopper.htm

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=16
    -JD