Thread: Upper Sac

Default Upper Sac

The reports are right! The Upper Sac is fishing great right now!
    Hatches throughout the day include caddis. MB's, green drakes, salmon flies and more...
    Bring lots of bugs and you can fish all day!
    I stopped at the Fly Shop in Redding on the way up to get some info and flies.

Their board had this comment for the Upper Sac:

"Those with ability will do well"

I went anyway.

That night I broke off one good fish and missed seven more, (had to check my fly to see if I had busted off the hook; I hadn't...just couldn't stick 'em!).

Back on the river the next day after a fly reload at Ted Fay's and a fly and spiritual reload at the Dunsmier Rod Co. ( I was after all fishing my little french bamboo rod).

With sound advice from Chris I headed back to the water...

LDR'd two and got one beauty to the net...

It was two half days of fishing on top with more action than ability but a great time! =D>

Get there now! [img][/img]
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

Very nice !!

One is good enough to NOT be skunked , never forget that .

David

Thanks David...it would've been a good trip without getting anything to the net...beautiful river, weather and fish all around! I managed to add a pic to the original post...
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

I had a cabin right across the street from top guide Fred Gordon for 10 years in Dunsmuir and now I wish I still had it.

June will be smoken' hot on the Upper Sac.

After that it can get really tough though till October.

Good now................

PS: I heard the Fall River, Lower McCloud Rvier and Pit River were also very good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the report Nip. My buddy Andan and I are heading up to Dunsmuir Thursday and are looking forward to it with much anticipation. And like you said, we're going anyway.

Phil

The reports are very true. Bugs are everywhere. My brother and I fished sat-mon and landed 25-30 fish each. The dry fly action wasn't as good as expected with the amount of bugs, but the fish eagerly took nymphs all day. We fished from as high as Financial all the way down to Gibson. I found most success throwing a dry dropper combo with a stimulator and copper john. In the evening, even though big stoneflies and green drakes were present, I had more success with size 14 white wulff. The fish averaged around 8"-10" with a few nice ones in the mix. The pictures below are the highlights of the trip. For anyone heading up there soon, I hope the wind dies down. It was blowing like an SOB today.