Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/26 report

Default 5/26 report

Hit a small River w/ Ed yesterday ......

The high flows from last year really did a number out there - root wads 30 feet up the old rail trestle , holes re-configured , everything not as it was ..... some of my 'no fail' spots were blanks !

Found several VERY nice (4 lb.) Spotted Bass .... they wouldn't play for love , money , or threats . Thankfully ...... got into several species of Sunfish , landed a few to over 1 lb.

On the trip home , we visited a small strip pond in Lincoln . Ed had a hot streak w/ about 15 Hybrid Sunnies .... some of which were HUGE .

Fishing two feet away , I couldn't get bit to save my life

Today ?? We'll raid a small urban creek ...... hope we do better there .

Ed will post photos later .....

David

Default Day One

Man oh man, I still can't believe the fishing opportunities that lie within the 50 mile radius. You'd swear you were in some wilderness area as soon as the traffic noise subsided. Those Spotted Bass David mentioned were downright insulting. Cmon now, do they really have to go rushing up to your fly then stop and stare, then swim away? Who taught them manners anyway? At least the sunnies saved the day. I think most were over a pound, evidence that they're not on someones fish fry list. Got no pics from the pond, what started out as a quick peek turned into several hours. I've been using a fly called Autumn Splendour, silly name, and a very unlikely looking fly but so far this year I've caught most warmwater species on it. It's goofy and shouldn't work but it does. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Nice report guys, it looks like you had a fun day. There's nuthin more fun than fishing overlooked water. It sucks when your honey holes get washed away.

Mark
    Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

Default day two

Day two. Smaller stream, urban area. Caught Bass, Bass, and more Bass. Mostly small but very feisty Spots and Smallies. Got quite an education today, David was pulling fish out of what to me were the most unlikely spots. To his credit he explained as we went where there should be fish and why. Damned if he wasn't right about 99% of the time. The other 1% were the fishes fault . David said it was kinda slow but we landed around 40 to 50 fish. Biggest was around a pound, but man they give a very good account of themselves. Here's todays. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Ah, wet wading the creek, what a GREAT way to spend a summer day! Yep, David KNOWS where the fish hang out in that one. I've even seen him call his shots like he was playing a game of 8-ball. Glad to see you guys hit it up!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

GRAND shot of the sunnies on their nests!
    You's guys rock.
    ....lee s.

Yeah Mike, he was doing that too. It was a little uncanny. Lee, the shot I should have taken was the carp. Very curious fish, would come over and look at my fly, as if they were wondering what particular dubbing I was using, or maybe discussing whether it was whip finished or half hitched.

Very curious fish, would come over and look at my fly, as if they were wondering what particular dubbing I was using, or maybe discussing whether it was whip finished or half hitched.
    That is just too funny!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thanks guys....love those photos.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hordes of shrimpy ones out there , I couldn't seem to get away from the dinks .

Ed thumped the big one ..... around 13 inches . Conditions were just about perfect , except the water was slightly on the cool side . No clues as to where the 'big' ones were hiding at . The creek is getting more silted in - deep spots are becoming pretty rare .

I came away from the trip slightly depressed ...... any time you fish a stream that runs thru a city w/ 100,000 people in it , you have to take into account human impact - trash is always a problem , but the thing that really got me was the total lack of sanitation . Some spots looked like the transients were having a shit party ....... I have ZERO sympathy for anyone without the brains/common sense to bury their turds WELL AWAY from the water . I've no idea why anyone would raise kids without teaching them something so basic . I actually don't want to fish there anymore .......... and this is where I learned to flyfish .

It's a difficult position ...... you have this beautiful little place .... loads of fish/wildlife ...... but the masses don't seem to care how good they have it . With just a few basic rules , it could be a place like no other . Instead , we have uncontrolled growth , no policeing system , no community input , no civic pride , etc. .

Instead of riding this into the ground (and losing what little grip on sanity that I still have ....) , I think I'll just walk away and forget it .

South Dakota looks better every day .

David