Thread: Toughér day

Default Toughér day

for some people yesterday. The skippies are getting bigger and meaner.
    Some are ranging from 14 to 16lbs. Rooster seem to be everywhere, with alot of small ones willing to eat a fly. The bigger ones have a little more expoerience, so more knowledge is required by the fisheman.
    The group went out yesterday and I stayed on the beach fishing from the Las Arenas hotel back to the light house. Picked up some lady fish, sierra mac´s and a couple small jacks. Walked towards the light house and stopped at the first point. A strong current was moving the line pretty good. This seems to draw the fish to the point and also the blue water and green water line was about 30´from the waters edge. I hung out there for a couple hours knowing the bait would be pushed towards shore.
    I started seeing flashes in the water from the sardinas followed by the roosters, jack crev and big eye jacks. Only required a 30´cast at the most. I hooked up on 6 small roosters, 3 jacks and alot of big eye jacks.
    Throw in a dozen lady fish on top of that.
    Then I got NAILED by a jelly fish tennacle. My leg started stinging and burning. I backed out of the water pretty damn quick and started rubbing it with sand. I would of poured on some Aldolps meat tenderizer but that´s not something you carry everyday. I did the next best thing - you get the drift. I still have a couple spots where I feel a slight stinging but not bad.

My group is fishing their last day today and a new group comes in on saturday. The bait was a little harder to find yesterday at midday, but that´s not unusal. Alot of different species were caught

Darian, you mentioned the spook fly, I caught one jack crevelle on it then lost the full line line due to a knot failure. Actually lost two lines on that morning. And had a SA Mastery 350 line separate at the head and running line section. The knot separation was KNOT my fault either, someone else tied it for me

I will report todays catch later

Jay

Jay, I have been waiting for a report. Sounds like a great time except for the lost lines. I'd love to do this someday.

It must be really interesting to spend that much time at a good fishery to see how it is a little different every day.

Good luck Jay
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Hairbugs

Jay-
    Have you tried any hairbugs (dalhbergs or poppers) in the surf? Keep up the good reports, I'm getting excited about my trip in Aug.
    Tight lines, Steve

Default Otaru

Aloha Jay, we call any skipjack, aku over 15lbs and otaru. They are great fun on the fly. Here they stay up on top and race around. Could you imagine one of those at 50lbs? One great fly for them is a small silver spoon that resembles a pelagic crab they eat. They also like poppers and small baitfish immitations. For some reason they really like silver here in Hawaii. I hope you went shishi on the man-o-war sting. Good report, Mems. P.S. Did you get your ono yet?
    Don Memmer

Mems,

I met a group of people last week from the islands. One from Oahu. As i talked more to this guy and gal, I found out that I went to high school with his uncle in my freshman year. I also met another guy from Maui who wants to start a kayaking/fly fishing business there. I told him not to quit his daytime job.

On my day off next week, I´m going to fish with a buddy of mine who runs fishing trips out of the same hotel. He´s conventional but he plans on teasing up marlin or sails to watch me sweat.

The are some big roosters out there right now. I´ve seen schools that probably go 40lbs to 60lbs. And close to the beach. I´ve watched alot of people hook them only to get broken off. Not too many Mahi yet but that´s to come

Jay

Steve,

As I mentioned earlier, I hooked on jack before losing the fly and flyline.
    There were signs of white hair on the surface. Can´t wait until my supply of new fly lines come in this week and next week. People are definitly getting their knots and tackle tested.
    So far, all my rental rods have held up

Let´s do some carp fishing when I get back

Jay