Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Middle Fork American

I used to fish the Middle Fork quite a bit with my dad. We saw a lot of rattlers up there. One evening I stepped on one while walking back to camp. I was extremely lucky to have escaped unharmed. I now carry a Sawyer snakebite kit in my chest pack. It doesn't take up too much room, being about the size of a medium fly box. If you fish alone alot, like me, you may want to look into one.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

I fish and guide the Middle Fork drainage area. There are many places to fish, and many small streams tributary to the MF American. You should get a Tahoe National Forest map and take a look at the river and its tribs, and then decide where to go. The main middle fork is a boat fishery with the exception of a few access points that allow for wade fishing. You might try Mammoth Bar (good access) and/or Driver's Flat. Both are on the main middle fork. Be careful wading--the flows will fluctuate in the afternoon at both of these places due to rafter flows released from Oxbow. As of now the best flies would be stonefly imitations--both goldens and Pteronarcys. There are small caddis hatching in the afternoons also. Sometimes a size 12 Parachute Adams will take fish. For small nymphs I use a red Copper John (#14) or a #16 Swimming PT with bead head and flash back. Good luck.
    Bill Carnazzo, Spring Creek Guide Service
    5209 Crestline Drive, Foresthill CA 95631
    630 S. First St., Dunsmuir CA 96025
    (530) 367-5209 in Foresthill
    (530) 235-4048 in Dunsmuir
    bcarnazzo@ftcnet.net
    Web site: http://billcarnazzo.com/

How do the private property laws work on the MF American?

My buddy and I were asked to leave because we were "trespassing."

We were both in the water, and well below the high water mark. This guy came out of nowhere, claims he owns the rocks on the river bottom, and said we were trespassing and he was going to have us arrested if we didn't leave now.

I told him that we weren't on his land and I don't think its possible to own the river bottom of the MF. Guy was really rude even though I had no problem leaving, and didn't see one sign on the way in.

In Utah, landowners own the river bottom, but I didn't think that was the case in California.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    Do you run into any rattlers while you are out there?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    In Utah, landowners own the river bottom, but I didn't think that was the case in California.
    From what I understand in California !!!
    If it's considered Navigable then the property line is the high water line .
    Otherwise its the middle of the river .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by JT
    From what I understand in California !!!
    If it's considered Navigable then the property line is the high water line .
    Otherwise its the middle of the river .
    I guess my question is, is the MF American below Oxbow navigable water???

How far below oxbow were you? If you were all the way down to Horseshoe bar, then the guy will try to mess with you. They own a ton of land down there and are being tough this year. A new guy has taken over the lease and dosnt want anyone fishing on his property.

Private property laws vary depending on where you are fishing. Where were you at the time you were told you were trespassing? If it was near the tunnel below Oxbow, there are some big issues there.
    Bill Carnazzo, Spring Creek Guide Service
    5209 Crestline Drive, Foresthill CA 95631
    630 S. First St., Dunsmuir CA 96025
    (530) 367-5209 in Foresthill
    (530) 235-4048 in Dunsmuir
    bcarnazzo@ftcnet.net
    Web site: http://billcarnazzo.com/

I was well below Oxbow, where the river went from rapids into a long deep pool. Sheer rock on the river right and cobblestone beach on river left. This pool was DEEP and the rapids were at least Class III. After this the river flowed straight for a long time.

The guy we ran into was older with white hair and full beard, said he owns the property of riverfront access to the MF American for 7 miles and that he owns the rocks on the bottom, therefore I was on "his" land. He could not emphasize "HIS" land enough i asked him about the other side and he said it was private property as well.

All i wanted to do was fish for a few hours at this new spot i haven't been before. I had no problem leaving and tried to apologize.

Only problem was they raised the water on the way back and we had to swim across Luckily it was very hot that day