Thread: Pat's Rubber Legs question

Default Pat's Rubber Legs question

I'm going to Idaho, fishing the South Fork for a week in July and need to tie some stone fly nymph patterns. This seems to be a real popular, all around pattern, but I can't find a pattern sheet or recipe. If anyone has info on this, could you please share this with me. I purchased a few online to look at but material and hook recommendations would help.

There's a recipe in one of the recent Northwest Flyfishing magazines - look for the issue that had an article on the Henry's Fork. "Pat" works for the Hyde shop in Last Chance, ID. and guides out of that shop. As I recall the recipe was simple, all it has is a beadhead, with a mottled brown/blake chenille body with rubber legs. Simple but effective - find that issue and it has the exact recipe.

Koffler

Real simple pattern. Just varigated chenille and rubber legs. Very popular here on the Yakima. If you PM me your address, I'll send you one.
    DP
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

There's a picture of one on Kaufmann's site: http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/C...mphs/FLYPATRL/. I think Bill might even have some in the shop.

One minor correction to the recipes in the previous posts: the legs are Superfloss (brown, tan, black, etc.), not regular round rubber leg material. Gives the fly much better action than the conventional material. Other than that, as Steelie and koffler have pointed out, it is just a Girdle Bug with variegated chenille (e.g. brown/black, orange/black, tan/black, etc.).
    -JD

Thanks for the offer SteelieD but I ordered a couple from Kaufmans yesterday. I figured I could look at one and go from there. I watched Familiar Waters the other day and the were fishing Box Canyon with Pat, using the rubber legs of course, with pretty good results. I was looking for a pattern I could tie a lot of, with different weight, while I'm Idaho. Funny you mention the Yak, I fished it several times last year when I was working in Sunnyside. Love the canyon, should've rented a drift boat for day and taken a drift, but didn't want to do it by myself. Thanks for the replies.

Cool. Tying that super floss so it lays flat and at the angles you want can be tricky, but other than that, it's an easy tie. I experiment with colors too just to see what the fish'll hit.

This guy liked one!

Let me know if you're near the Yak again, We'll fish!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver