Thread: Yuba

Default Yuba

We ran the Yuba today looking for shad. The river is very skinny. If they drop the flow any further it would be tough to make it up. We went all the way to the dam....didn't see a shad. Did see LOTS of suckers and pike minnows. There is a tree down across the deepest part below the dump. Be careful, we skimmed over it going up river and hit it a little harder coming down river. The river has really changed. Some of the runs that we usually fish have filled in. The run at Hallwood still looks pretty good. The flow in Marysville is 1068 cfs. Watch the flows; I wouldn't run it any lower than today's flow.
    T.

Default Low Water Yuba

Hi Terry,

My next door neighbor is Bill Siler the Yuba County Water Patrol officer and he runs the lower Yuba regularly on his wave runner. He said he saw one fellow up there today in a totally camo'd out boat but stated it's unsafe for regular runs to the dam.

As for shad, there have been some already taken at Hallwood but with the low water it may be slim pickings.

TONY

Tony,
    Talked to your neighbor yesterday. Yes, we were the crazy ones in the camo boat. Asked him if they were going to do anything about the tree going across the river. He said, "Just who is the THEY? The sheriff dept. has no plans on removing the tree." The tree is certainly a navigable hazard. I don't know whose responsibility it is to see after the safety on the river. I hope no one is injured trying to make it through that area. Perhaps a sign at the launch area would alert potential boaters.
    T.