Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie?

Default Crappie?

I had an hour of freedom today and ran over to my local pond for some LMB fishing. After a while, two boys came by and fished with a crappie jig. One caught a small bass and then he caught a HUGE crappie!!

That fish had a full belly and must have been at least 10-12 inches long. I didn't even know they had crappie in this pond. So has anyone caught crappie on a fly before and if so, what did you use?

Thanks.

Bill

Default Crappie!!!!!

In the spring, Crappie are ready biters. They're a schooling fish and, if you catch one, there're usually a bunch more, nearby. Flies that look like Shad flies or comet style fly with a marabou tail will catch 'em. Also, any good minnow imitation will catch a bunch. I usually use a sink tip line when fishing for Crappie and have a great time.

A bunch of good size Crappie are just about some of the best cookin'/eatin' freshwater fish around. MMM, MMM.... Good
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to take my 3 wt there and try to catch some. It'll be hard to get past the 5 bazillion sunfish though.

I've caught tons of crappie on #10 wooly buggers and #12 damselfly nymphs. I've also caught them on a #20 Griffith's Gnat pulled under the surface and retrieved with a twitch.
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Default where's that pond?

Bill,

Do you mind sharing the location of your local pond? I live across the river from W.Sac and am still looking for somewhere close to take the kids for sunfish.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default crappie flies

Crappie hit an all white crystal bugger like crazy along with a handfull of smallies and some spots on New Hogan. The only differance was casting to the shore and stripping for the Bass, while the Crappie were holding in a little deeper water near a rock ledge.
    They are great for a little fish fry!!!!! RICH

Default crappie

I guess they like #10 olive crystal buggers too! (with a touch of red)

Default Crappie

Nice fish, fun on a fly too!! RICH

Default Re: crappie

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFlyGuy
    I guess they like #10 olive crystal buggers too! (with a touch of red)

Nice one! That looked like the one the kid caught. Did you use a sinktip or floating?

floating line and enough leader /tippet to get the fly to suspend just over the cover. I love catching these guys with 3 inch strips to make the bugger dance a little bit.