Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Montana, First time, any suggestions?

you might see if you can book any time on some of the private spring creeks out of Livingston - they are a great place to spend a day and really watch trout in action up close and personal - you can watch feeding activity that will really open your eyes.

Might also consider Silver Creek out of Ketchum/Sun Valley - this is as good a spring creek as you can find - a couple of us have been going there religiously for the last 25 years and is my favorite place to fish - including steelheading and any other kind of fishing!!

SullyTM Guest

If you're near the Grand Tetons check out the Snake River...Have fun Jerry!

Later...

Quote Originally Posted by JerryInLodi
    I agree Ed, but she is parting from wanting to spend the summer in Baja, snorkeling and hooking dorado. That really surprised me.

I had suggested Rome but she came up with Montana. I didn't argue.
    You can still take her to Rome. Rome, Oregon is a gas station/cafe on Hwy 95 where you pass over the Owyhee River-- great picture opportunity at the southside Rome city sign.

And if you want a real country breakfast, try the Jordan Valley Cafe in Jordan Valley.

There are great day tours of Yellowstone. Yellowstone is incredible, truly worth the crowds you will find.

If I can make a suggestion, I would try and hit the beaverhead and the Missouri. The Beaverhead, outside of Dillon, is excellent fished with both dries and nymphs. The fish are hot and large. It is not uncommon to catch fish over 22." The beaverhead is better to float than wade, but if you wish to wade, around the dam is good. The flows are consistant in July and there are a lot of fish.

As for the Missouri, this is my favorite river. I like the section just below the dam which is above Craig. Again, it is best fished out of a boat, but does have a lot of wading access. The common size fish is 17-18". There are browns that are very large, but hard to catch. Streamers in the PM seem to get the larger fish. The common hatches are the Trico's in the AM and caddis in the PM. If the weather is a bit colder, beatis can be a good bet. If you fish it in late July, hoppers will be the ticket. Just find the pods of fish rising, sometimes 20-30, and start casting. They seem not to be too selective.

Hope your trip is good.

John Patock
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

I have been to Montana for the past two summers. The first summer i was there for three weeks, last summer i
    was there for two months. My favorite places were the Missouri, Beaverhead, Rock Creek, and most of all the
    Madison. I posted a bunch of pictures of my trip with descriptions that may help you get some info on the places i
    was at. Heres that link, http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewto...ghlight=#19759,
    there is also some madison river fish, http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewto...ghlight=#20775.

If you want more specific details give me a pm.

I am actually going there for the summer again, probobly leave around mid june and be back in time for school in the fall.

Here are some pictures from my first summer there, i don't think i have posted these yet.

Beaverhead River

Depuy's Spring Creek

Madison River

Rock Creek

I am pretty sure all of those fish were on dries except for the madison river fish.

Good luck on all your research.

Beautiful fish, Bolden!
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."