Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotted bass

Default Spotted bass

Wow, I am really starting to appreciate spotted bass. After two trips to Lake Oroville and catching a few I have gained more respect for these bass.

I used a conventional rod due to wrist problems. I will try the spots with a fly once I learn how to properly find the fish with my conventional rod, blind casting for hours is very tough on my wrist right now.

I believe that they fight way better than largemouths, but not as hard as smallmouth!

Do any of you guys have experience catching spots?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Great report Adam. It will be interesting to read the responses to your questions. I don't even know what a Spotted Bass looks like but I hear rumors the bass guys are hauling them north.

Mark

Adam, I'll second that. Caught my first Spotteds this year and was very impressed with them. ED
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Spotted Bass

Adam, Spots do fight harder no doubt. You can catch them on most any bass fly. My favorite for all bass are clones of Jay's Sea Habits, I actually tie some to look like juvenile bass.
    We fish some of the reserviors in Amador and Calaveras counties, the Spots tend to like rocky structure in our area.
    Have fun!!!
    RICH

Sculpin, they look like largemouths but their lateral lines are more spotted/blotchy, and they are spotted above the lateral line - hence the name.

Characteristics - slender, streamlined shape, large mouth that extends slightly past rear margin of eye when closed; greenish sides with dark mottlings and golden-shaded reflections; broad dark stripe along side, but more broken and uneven than on largemouth bass

Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I think they are at times a very striking looking fish -- here's a couple David Lee caught that are particularly well-marked:

-- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Adam, I know they eat black buggers!

But I usually throw Sticko's at em. My dark side is really starting to emerge!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Whoa, nice bass Mike!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

MSP with a fish in his hand?

Adam
    Thanks for the pictures and descriptions of Spotted Bass. Like I posted before, Jonny Bass Seed is spreading Spots around our area. It shouldn't be long before I get to see one.

Mark