Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper count at Knight's Landing on the Sacramento River

Default Striper count at Knight's Landing on the Sacramento River

I found this report on Dan Blanton's message board:

__________________________________________________ ___________

Posted by Kyle Murphy on 2007-04-27 15:37:53

Hello Folks,

DFG has been tagging adult striped bass since the late 1960’s as part of a striped bass population study. Data collected allows the DFG to estimate legal-sized striped bass abundance, natural mortality, and harvest rates. These estimates are used to guide the striped bass management.

The tagging operation takes place during the months of April and May. Capture methods used include gill nets deployed from DFG research vessels in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers, and by the use of fyke traps in the Sacramento River near Knights Landing.

This year’s tagging operation is being conducted with the use of fyke traps only. The traps were set on April 1, 2007 and fishing will continue through the end of May.

The daily catch varies each day, based on the number of traps fished and effort (e.g. the numbers of hours each trap fishes). The catch summaries posted below are approximate as this is data reported from the field.

The data summary posted below is for catch from April 1-26, 2007. I should begin receiving catch updates from the field crew twice a week and I will try to update this post with those additional catch summaries as they become available.

Date; legal striped bass observed; number of traps

4/2 ; 7; 6
    4/3 ; 22 ; 8
    4/5 ; 115 ;8
    4/7 ; 155 ;8
    4/8 ; 114 ; 8
    4/9 ; 253 ; 8
    4/10 ; 245 ; 8
    4/12 ; 503 ;8
    4/14 ; 232 ; 8
    4/15 ; 115 ; 8
    4/16 ; 98 ; 8
    4/17 ; 96 ; 8
    4/19 ; 254 ; 8
    4/21 ; 253 ; 8
    4/22 ; 73 ; 8
    4/23 ; 24 ; 8
    4/24 ; 36 ; 8
    4/26 ; 1016; 8

I hope you find this information interesting. If you have any questions about the program, please fee free to contact me via e-mail at kmurphy@dfg.ca.gov.

Good Fish’N,

Kyle Murphy
    Senior Biologist, Supervisor
    CA Dept. Fish and Game
    Bay Delta Region - Stockton

__________________________________________________ _________

A "slug" of them went through Knight's Landing yesterday.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Fyke Traps....???

I'm not familiar with a Fyke Trap. Can anyone provide what its outside dimensions are and how the trap works I was impressed that 8 traps could catch/hold over 1,000 fish as on 4/26.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tristan, what do all the number mean? What are the historical counts?
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Population Census....

Tristan,.... Are the Fyke Traps always located in the Sacramento River at the same place or are they planted in all valley rivers If only planted in the Sacramento (or other river), how does DFG account for the problems of counting when flows are altered to cause Stripers to use a river other than where the Fyke Traps are located
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Tristan
    Your right about the stripers spawning and the fishing being slow right now. We saw fish spawning 4 times Thursday. I was in the area camping on a bar above Colusa and gear fishing between Grimes and Colusa. We really had to work for fish and travel a long way looking for them. We wound up catching 10 stripers, in 2 days, including shakers and 1 sturgeon that measured 65" along side the boat before release. I may have passed you in front of Wards Friday, mid- day, if that was you headed down river, in a F&G boat.

Mark

Default Striper Counts

Does anyone know if they use the trap at Watt Ave. for Striper counts, or is it strickly for Salmonid species .

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan
    As to your question about Verona, you cannot wade the mouth, but a lot of the sandbars upriver are open and should provide decent angling when the fish return to the area. (I fished one the other day and got skunked)
    I fished up that way on Friday morning. I was at Joe's Landing & near Beer Can Beach on the Feather. (hey, that is what I heard it was called). I didn't get any hook-ups, but I was trying to use pile worms. I will go back to Beer Can Beach, cause I believe I can wade out into the river & fish a lil' chute there. I think it might be pretty productive, especially when the Shad present themselves. Tight Lines

Default FykeTraps....

Hey Tristan,... Thanks for the photo. I've seen those things before but didn't know what they were. I thought they were used for catching crawdads....

Author unknown

Those would be some FREAKIN' BIG Crawdads !

Lobster , anyone ??

David

-- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.