Thread: Upper Sac will be good this spring/summer

Default Upper Sac will be good this spring/summer

I just got off the phone with Bob Grace of the 'Ted Fay Fly Shop' in Dunsmuir, CA right on the Upper Sacramento River.

Bob said this will be the best opener for them in 6 or 7 years.

Flows are down and this is going to be a banner year. Get up there in May and June for wild action.

PS: Bob just moved the shop "down stream" right across from the 'Cornerstone' which is one of the top restaurants in Dunsmuir.

Get some lodging and a maybe a guide booked very soon up there.

The lower McCloud and Pit Rivers should be fishing well in May/June as well.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Does anyone have suggestions for nymphs to the McCloud and Pit for the opener. I tied all your standards during the winter and have time to experiment with new flies. I have tied the standard- pt's, copper johns, princes, caddis nymphs, mayfly nymphs, hares ear, and czechs.... looking for some extra tying practice.

Thanks
    Mike

Default Flies....

Mike,..... Since you're gonna be in the area, try tying some of the late Ted Fay's patterns. These patterns are very effective even tho they don;t seem to be in favor right now. The Black or Brown Bomber are effective on the PIT River as are several of the other pattern types. Joe Kimsey and Bob Grace of the Ted Fay Fly Shop are keeping the tradition alive for now.

I've fished almosrt all of the original patterns at one time or another in the upper Sacramento River with great success. Give 'em a try.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

You might want to take a look at some of the other Dunsmuir signature flies like the Fred Gordon Prince and the Eng Theng (Wayne Eng). Though some will tell you the only difference between the regular Prince and the Gordon version is the wing color, Fred says there are actually six or seven distinct differences (though I couldn't tell you exactly what they are). Ted Fay Fly Shop is now carrying the Eng Theng since the unfortunate passing of Bill Tate, and at Wayne's request, are tying it with a wider profile to blend characteristics with the classic bomber patterns.